Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have spent some time searching the BB for info on replacing lost keys, and Ive found some leads but not exactly everything I am trying to find.
I only have ignition keys for my car, non original (PO put in a new barrel set). I have no key for the glove box, trunk, or doors.
While I dont plan on driving my car places where I need to have my door locked (>:) ) I would like to be able to lock my glove box and trunk for sure.

I see Keys4Classics is spoken very highly of, but I have no key code or anything to go off of to send them to copy a key set for me.
Also, I would prefer to have at least one OEM looking key, if I could track down OEM looking key blanks, what would they look like for a 74 spider? I found this thread with pictures of keys from a 69 spider, is the key marked "Torino" what a 74 accessory key would look like?

Is there a way for me to find my key codes? Take apart the locks? I see Keys4Classics has blanks for the doors etc, but how do I know which style is the one to fit my locks?
Locks are a new territory for me, as far as having no key to start with!

Thanks in advance!

·
Push hard and live
9,347 Posts
Keith at Keys4Classics is a wizard.

Take pictures of the keys, both side and end. If you don’t have all the keys, you have to remove the inner lock mechanisms, insert the blanks he’ll send you, you take pics of the tumblers sticking out, and new keys show up.

Unlikely he’ll have OE blanks. Those rarely show up anymore.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It might be worthwhile contacting Classic Alfa for a lead on key blanks. They sell locksets with the proper keys. It could be they're just sitting on a big stash of them but if not and someone is making them, then that someone is getting blanks somehow.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It might be worthwhile contacting Classic Alfa for a lead on key blanks. They sell locksets with the proper keys. It could be they're just sitting on a big stash of them but if not and someone is making them, then that someone is getting blanks somehow.
I will check it out!

Keith at Keys4Classics is a wizard.

Take pictures of the keys, both side and end. If you don’t have all the keys, you have to remove the inner lock mechanisms, insert the blanks he’ll send you, you take pics of the tumblers sticking out, and new keys show up.

Unlikely he’ll have OE blanks. Those rarely show up anymore.
I emailed them, they asked that I have a local locksmith try to make a key for it, then they will use photos of that key to make further keys.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for, I want to try to track down at least one matching key when its all said and done, but I had to know what an original to my car actually is :nerd:

·
Push hard and live
9,347 Posts
I emailed them, they asked that I have a local locksmith try to make a key for it, then they will use photos of that key to make further keys :nerd:
Uh, pardon my astonishment. My several experiences with Keith were at the other end of the spectrum. I couldn’t be more astonished if you’d reported you walked into Baskins-Robbins, asked for a scoop of chocolate, and they suggested you go find some and they’d try to duplicate it.

I’m betting you got the wrong company, or Keith is gravely ill, or your email didn’t translate well.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"If you can get a locksmith to find a key that fits (even if not the “correct” one) and get the cutting more or less right (5 cuts, each of only 3 possible depths, easy in terms of locksmith skills) then I might be able to determine a more original key and even the original code for it (from a few emailed photos)" , from Stuart, not Keith.

I thought it a bit odd that they basically told me to have someone else make the key, then they would use one of their Alfa style keys to make another.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Keys4classics is a brilliant firm, their keys fit like gloves and are the closest to alfa originals, apart from hard to find and very expensive NOS.

K4C can't cut a key for someone who has a)lost the keys b)hasn't got a decent photo of both sides on file, or c) hasn't got a code written down somewhere.

You need to remove the barrel, unfortunately, probably from the door lock, as these have 5 tumblers, and I am not so sure the glove box lock - the easiest to remove - has 5 as well (anyone?)...

Personally I'd order the blanks from K4C (or you could throw 80$ on a NOS blank, like that ebay one) then have your locksmith cut them once he has the barrel in his hands.

·
Push hard and live
9,347 Posts
For my recent project, for which I had no keys, K4C sent me one blank each of all of the options for my car, I removed the lock barrels, inserted the blanks, took pictures of the protruding tumblers, emailed them to K4C, and back came good keys. The ignition switch had a code, and he cut that one right from the number.

I ended up paying for a couple of unused blanks, but that was trivial.

Might have been Stuart. Thought the name was Keith. Too much parts cleaner fumes, I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A guy6 in Mesa,AZ made me a pair of keys that fit my doors for ten bucks eazch when i brought him the glovebox lock which i removed easily with a small screwdriver and a pliers. they worked perfectly but said fiat on them. easy took him ten minutes

·
Registered
113 Posts
Funny, I just pulled the glove box lock yesterday on my '86 so I could have a key made. I was assuming, based on posts I had read in the past, that the key would also work in the door, gas and trunk locks. Is there a consensus that this is not correct? Patrick1961 does your glove box key work in your door etc? AaronsSpider, where did you land with your efforts?

I think the rational for K4C requesting that you have a key made locally is that the cost of sending the lock barrel to Australia and back would approach the cost of the actual lock smithing performed. It looks like cost is $23.50 each way for USPS Standard International Package. This is large envelope (max thickness 2”, max weight 10 oz).

·
Registered
900 Posts
I had an 85 and 87 where the glove box and door key were the same, however, The glove box lock on my 78 is NOT the same as the door key (both of which I am missing).

Anyway, locking a Spider is like locking a screen door. Just an invitation for the roof to be cut if someone wants to get inside.

Funny, I just pulled the glove box lock yesterday on my '86 so I could have a key made. I was assuming, based on posts I had read in the past, that the key would also work in the door, gas and trunk locks. Is there a consensus that this is not correct? Patrick1961 does your glove box key work in your door etc? AaronsSpider, where did you land with your efforts?

I think the rational for K4C requesting that you have a key made locally is that the cost of sending the lock barrel to Australia and back would approach the cost of the actual lock smithing performed. It looks like cost is $23.50 each way for USPS Standard International Package. This is large envelope (max thickness 2”, max weight 10 oz).

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
Funny, I just pulled the glove box lock yesterday on my '86 so I could have a key made. I was assuming, based on posts I had read in the past, that the key would also work in the door, gas and trunk locks. Is there a consensus that this is not correct?
it is true one key works doors/trunk/fuel flap and glove box,

however, I always wondered if a key cut from the glove box lock (easiest to remove, obviously) would also work on the doors....to do so the glove box lock barrel would have to have 5 tumblers, like the door....and to me the glove box lock seems shorter, as though there are only 4 tumblers...but I may be wrong...?
(One cut for the door would certainly work on the glovebox etc)

As you have your glove box lock out, see if it has 5 tumblers, like the door barrel (photo)

If it does it will work the doors etc.
(Patillack1961, above, said it does)

lock.jpg

Although locking a rag top is kind of useless, here if you don't lock it (don't know about USA)
a) your insurance will not pay for damage or theft....
and
b) it is an offense not to lock the car and ticketable with 15 euro fine!

(of course here in good ol' germa-nanny they probably have a law against picking your nose... ;))

....just something to think about! (whereas they will pay if someone slits the roof and opens the door from inside then takes things or the car)

·
Registered
113 Posts
What I really need is a spare/second ignition key. I can’t believe I have only had one key for the past 10 years, courting disaster. The idea behind getting a door key was just for completeness sake.
Any way it looks like the glove box cylinder does not have 5 tumblers. I think for now I will back burner the door key and just get a spare ignition key. Thanks everyone for your help.
Jim

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
What I really need is a spare/second ignition key. I can’t believe I have only had one key for the past 10 years, courting disaster.
if you take a decent digital photo of both your alfa car keys on a white background, both sides, copies can be cut from the photos.
cheap insurance.

I ordered a spare set from K4C (Australia) cut from the photos I emailed them, using their correct silca blanks, and they fit and work as smooth as silk.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven’t completed this yet, more than anything I want to be able to lock the trunk more so than the car door. I plan on getting keys for them all, I just haven’t made it to this project yet. I will have the seats out in a month or two to get them recovered, I will probably do the locks then.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Aaron, Thanks for the update. Spiderserie4, thanks for posting the great photo and I will be ordering a second ignition key from K4C later this week.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Triz, Interesting. Looking at my glove box lock cylinder, it appears to have only a few tumblers unlike the door's which has five (pictures above). Must be model year specific ('86). I think I will back burner this for now and just order a spare ignition key. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Triz, Interesting. Looking at my glove box lock cylinder, it appears to have only a few tumblers unlike the door's which has five (pictures above). Must be model year specific ('86). I think I will back burner this for now and just order a spare ignition key. Thanks for the info.
Mine is a 1987. The cost from local locksmith was around $40, if I remember right with new keys. I dropped off the glove box cylinder and he made the keys from that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts