Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have strong reason to suspect my ignition coils are not working well. It seems the CDI is working properly but very low spark from coils .

I have read the Taylor book and website and an alternative to Bosch 0221121002 is the 001.

Was hoping another owner has accomplished the ignition coil replacement and could share their coil type, experience, and keys to success

Thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
I replaced both coils when I added the new pertronix ignition. Used the coils from them as they suggested (Flame Throwers I think). Worked great for a while and then found a fuel pump issue and when I dug into the wiring I found the coils were not getting a full 12 volts. Ended up rewiring the coils at the fuse box and get full voltage now along with rewired fuel pump. Now I am battling the over rich condition that may be simply a result of trying to compensate for the poor spark from last year...

Bottom line is check the wiring first and be sure that is not your problem before you touch the coils. If that's good then go ahead and replace then, pretty straight forward just a swap. An old ALfa mechanic told me always look at the electrics fist in these cars. Hate to say he is right the vast majority of the time.

Just my 2 cents......

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I've had good success with the Perma-Tune SC010 as suggested in Bruce's book, photo on pg. 128 top center. They don't look like the Bosch originals, but seem to perform fine. Got mine from Pelican Parts on line...they were in stock at the time about a year ago. Not inexpensive unless you compare to the occasional -002 and/or -001 Bosch that turn up on Ebay.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had good success with the Perma-Tune SC010 as suggested in Bruce's book, photo on pg. 128 top center. They don't look like the Bosch originals, but seem to perform fine. Got mine from Pelican Parts on line...they were in stock at the time about a year ago. Not inexpensive unless you compare to the occasional -002 and/or -001 Bosch that turn up on Ebay.
Thank you V8Alfa. Did the Permatunes fit into the existing bracket that once housed the Bosch ignition coils? Or did it require new bracket or modification of old brackets?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi, the Permatune units were direct replacements for the Bosch. No modifications required.:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, the Permatune units were direct replacements for the Bosch. No modifications required.:)
Really thankful for your input. I'm not certain if my issue is truly the ignition coils, but I am leaning toward it being the reason for low spark. I have new distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs. I visually inspected the 2 CDI units and ran multimeter check and they appear to be in good working condition. Really a mystery why Monti won't start and engine won't run - have to start replacing parts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other question:

In researching the Permatune SC010, manufacturer states "Only for use together with Permatune/ Plasma Tronics Capacitive Discharge Units".

Did you use your original 2 CDUs, or did you replace with the Permatune units as instructed by coil manufacturer?

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Still using the original CD units. I think I travelled a similar road as you. First step was new spark plugs and wires, rotor and cap. Points only have a few hundred miles on them. The new cap was a bit of a challenge as its as built molded in labels at the plug and distributor terminals are marked for the Ferrari 308 if I recall so I had to take some time to make sure I transferred the old Alfa cap markings in the correct Alfa sequence to the new cap. Checked, double checked, triple checked over 2 days, but got it right! After that the old Bosch coils were looking pretty ratty. Green terminals anybody? So next step was the Permatune coils. Running very well now.

Of course the other issue could be fuel delivery. Water in tank from E10/E15 fuel? In tank and under hood filters? Fuel pressure (pumps?). Dried cracked idle air hoses?

These are the things that have caused me problems so far. Pretty basic stuff, but I usually start looking looking for some major disaster and then work back into the simple stuff. I have to keep reminding myself it’s just a simple internal combustion engine - air, fuel, spark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts