Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am new to this forum, and am restoring a '72 Giulia Super. It was bought as an unfinished project, and I am really pleased with it.

I have not had a Super before and as it was bought in bits, I struggle sometimes to work out what is missing or what goes where!

One of the first things I am doing is getting the glass back in, and in order to do this I needed to replace the headlining (should this be all one word?)

Anyhow - I used the old one as a template and have nearly finished making the replacement, I have used the same Black vinyl I am going to use for the seats and doors.

On the old part - there was some foam glued around the edges, I understand this, but suspect there should be some other foam stuck to the roof? (stuck to roof section so fits between roof and headlining) so as to provide a bit of insulation and give a better feel tot he finished lining. Has anyone on here replaced their head lining and can confirm this is the case please?

If anyone has a photo that would be Ace!

All the best

Jon

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Hi Jon, yes, there's sound deadener against the roof, most upholsterers use a felt type material for this rather than the glasswool type that Alfa used in the factory.
1 cm thick foam (or more modern upholstering material) is used on the frame to get a nice fit.

Best,
JC

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I think you will regret a BLACK headliner... economy aside. .. The '72 had a solid off-white liner .. no snake-bites. . I have one. If you want pictures ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi - why do you think I will regret a black headliner? I have given it some thought, and realise it will feel darker inside potentially. Other than that I cant think of any other disadvantages. Would welcome your reasoning As if there are other disadvantages I will reconsider.

All the best

Jon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is 2 tone, black single panel (by the sun visor), and remainder the off white colour.

Pic was taken a while back more looking at the stain rather than setup as described above ;)

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
My first TI had a black headliner and I didn't like it. Black seats, black headliner, was very dark. To each his own though.
Andrew

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Hi - why do you think I will regret a black headliner? I have given it some thought, and realise it will feel darker inside potentially. Other than that I cant think of any other disadvantages. Would welcome your reasoning As if there are other disadvantages I will reconsider.

All the best

Jon
I think a white or off white "ceiling" in cars and rooms in the Western world gives a warmer feel to the surroundings... It's why animals like bright skies over dark clouds. It just sets the tone for the environment. Even some convertibles picked up on this in their newer cars. Let's just say, it will be a personal touch that you can claim as all yours.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Mine is 2 tone, black single panel (by the sun visor), and remainder the off white colour.

Pic was taken a while back more looking at the stain rather than setup as described above ;)

Sent from my ConeXis X1 using Tapatalk
This was a stab at "glare" in the eyes of the driver by Alfa unique to the Biscione, I think, without sacrificing the entire headliner .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the further thoughts guy's. I had realised it would be darker, and I think to be honest I am still going to give it a go - I have nearly finished making it now anyway! - I can always make another one in white if necessary although it would be cheaper to just buy one from Alfaholics - considerably so when you think about my time!

The current one which I am replacing is the off white with the black strip at the front, I know you can buy them like this as a replacement.

This may be something I regret I realise that - and your thoughts have also made me realise I will need to take the glass out to change it should I not be happy! I may find when I try to fit it the finish isn't up to the standard of a purchased one too - so this will be another factor!

Thanks for the advise and I will let you know how I get on.

All the best

Jon

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
The late cars had the black strip as an apparent anti-glare measure.
Many period American cars had black headliners. I had a dark blue 65 Mustang, black headliner, yuck. It was like living in a black hole.
Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny of how little this thread relates to my query...but thanks JDCK for your positive input.

Lets call it a day here

All the best

Jon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is really nice, a lot of time and effort has gone into making a great car - inspiration for me. Thanks for sending. I just need to practice my Dutch so I can read through it.

Tot ziens

Jon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts