Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with replacing the mirror glass in a windshield mounted rearview mirror? This is for a 1975 Spider. My mirror has the little light switch that comes on when the door is open. The stalk mounts to the windshield housing. The mirror's backing is bad and it needs to be replaced. I bought a replacement mirror glass at IAP. Wow, $30.

Can this replacement be done in place without removing the assembly from the mount? The housing holding the mirror appears to be press-fitted. Does prying on the edges pop it open? This must have been attempted before on this site, but I cannot find an accurate subject in the search mode.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The mirror will snatch right off the mount, literally.
Pull back and up and it'll come off the ball mount, then you can unplug the wires to the light and take it over there -----> to the bench to work on things.

Other than that, yes, the rim of the frame just kinda pops off, and it can be done with it still hanging on the windshield frame.
Some can be pulled off by hand, others might need a little persuation from a screwdriver.

Keep track of which way the day/night lever and associated spring are positioned.
It's possible to put it back together wrong which will result in the day/night feature not working correctly if at all.
(or more horrifically, breaking the mirror or glass when snapping the trim back on)

EDIT:
This is what it looks like in there after the trim ring, glass and mirror are removed:
(pic curtesy of Rosso Veloce)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Beveled mirror glass

Just replaced the RV mirror assembly on my '87 Spider. These are plastic inside and once they break, they break. So I used one from a '78 Spider, but when I went to change out the mirror glass (the '87 one was better) I found that my old mirror glass is beveled on the top and bottom edge so as to fit the beveled holder top and bottom. The '87 glass mirror is NOT beveled and while it's exactly the same size, it will not mount on the internal pieces. Not an easy job, but certainly not impossible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts