Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing several from the Alfa club suggest that I replace the fan in my spider, I have ordered one. Also have a new shroud, as mine has a few small chunks missing and appears kinda brittle. I have new replacement belts and will do that at the same time.

It seems like a pretty straight-forward task, but...
Questions: are there any "gotchas" I need to lok out for? Anyone have a tip or two that might make the job go easier? Special tools?

Thanks!
-Phil

·
Administrator
16,645 Posts
It should be quite straightforward. Keep in mind Alfa's were built by double jointed midgets with long very strong fingers...

Here's the plan: Remove the fan belt, remove the shroud bolts, drape the shroud over the fan, remove the bolts holding the fan to the water pump pulley, remove the fan, remove the shroud.

Replacement is the reverse - keeping in mind you have to slide the shroud in first then install the fan then put the shroud in place.

The bolts holding the fan may be difficult to re-install because you can't really see what you're doing as you're doing it. I suggest getting a bolt with the same threads as the fan's bolts. Cut off the head of that extra bolt and cut a slot into the end of the cut off end (in case you need to use a screw driver to get it out later). Remove one fan bolt then install the cut bolt as a 'place keeper' - finger tight only. You can then slide the old fan off after removing the remaining bolts and the 'place keeper' will help you line up the new fan and any spacer that might be there also.

P.S. how are the motor mounts? As they age & sag they can allow the fan to contact the shroud. That will ruin both...

·
Registered
99 Posts
While you have all of that off, it is not much extra work to pull the radiator and have it rodded and repainted. Should cost about 40-60 bucks. I just did it and it dropped my running temp by about 10 degrees and gave me a little extra peice of mind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mflugel! Actually, when I had the initial work done, one other thing I fixed was the leaky radiator - basically a complete rebuild. That's why the fan thing has gained importance. I want to make sure that work of art is unmolested.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would suggest that you check the clearance between the bottom opening of the schroud and the fan. If your mounts a just a wee bit saggy you will be getting a new fan again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeez!!!

There is not much room between the fan and the radiator. Any idea what size wrench those bolts need? How did you guys get to those bolts?

Thanks!
-Phil

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
IIRC, they are a 10mm wrench and you need to use the open end unless your offset angle on the box end is just right.

I suppose a very thin 1/4" drive ratchet could do the job, but you could only get them so loose before it wedged against the radiator.

Ideally you get them loose and then spin them the rest of the way out with your finners.

Reinstall in reverse order.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Short of pulling the radiator out, I would need to get the right tool. So, I reassembled and will fight another day.

Looks like a trip to Sears is in my future.

Thanks!
-Phil

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Motor mounts seem to be a regular maint. item on Spiders, especially if you bottom out often. You know, oil, filter and motor mounts. Mine have only about 1,000 miles on em and the fan was starting to contact the shroud. Ditched the shroud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts