Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessarey to replace the dryer - which is about a year and a half old - when just replacing the condenser?

Also, my - also pretty new (not rebuilt) - compressor came with oil in it. Along with replacing the condenser, later I'll be replacing the evaporator. How can one tell when to replace oil and how much? I pulled out a complete A/C system from a '79 Alfetta GT donor car and oil poured out of the hoses - obviously a case of oil overkill.

And...if at the time of replacing the evaporator, will this pretty major change (then?) require a new dryer - or is replacing the dryer, especially if it is still pretty new, much like replacing the waterpump when rebuilding an engine - relatively cheap insurance?

Biba

·
Premium Member
857 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Dryer: anytime the system is opened up, replace dryer. Thats the golden rule.

Oil: subject is full of opinions. My comps always came dry except for some "lube", and one goes from there. You first need to know a system's full capacity of oil (usually 6 oz for our Sanden 508's), then guesswork is in order from there, believe it or not. Some resides in the condenser, some in the evap, etc. I usually put in say, 2 oz in condenser, 4 oz in comp. It all gets spread out eventually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts