Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have just ordered a new clutch master cylinder for my 75TS. I've the option to have it replace by a real mechanic, but I'm thinking of doing this myself.

Can anyone pointed out to me:
1. I know there are 2 allen nuts that I need to remove on the dash. Where can I locate them exactly? What kind of tools I need? Do I need special tools?

2. I'm a noobs when it come to this. What else I need to do besides replacing the master cylinder? Clutch bleeding? How can I do this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
the bolts will be under your dash behind the heater ish place you will need to contort into a very small ball and remove the front seat and lay on your back then if you can feel them you will have to some how get them out.(great yoga training helps here) Also the cylinder its self has to be at the right extension and im sure there is a chart on here that shows it somewhere.

Good luck

·
Registered
198 Posts
My clutch master cylinder somehow worked loose. To tighten it up was as per the above post, and even then I only tightened the bottom bolt. I gave up on the top one. I just check every 6 months or so to make sure it's still tight.

But access into that area is very restricted. If anyone has experience with removal and refitting then I too would love to hear.

·
Registered
262 Posts
This is not a pleasant task (if I had to do it again, I'd seriously consider root canal as an alternative if offered). It's "just" two bolts, but the car was literally built around it. Mine was a US Alfa Milano Gold with a 2.5 engine (YMMV).
Good luck if you attempt this yourself.
-Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning I tried engage first with a my busted clutch master cylinder. The clutch when right in without much resistance. The moment I push the stick to 1st, a loud grinding noise followed. Yikes, seems like my clutch master cylinder is really dead now.

Is there somewhere I could regain my clutch back? In the past weeks, pumping the clutch several times gives me back some pressure which allows me to drive for a bit. Would this work?

Without clutch, I cant go anywhere with the car, hence I cant get the clutch master cylinder fix.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,930 Posts
Fairly basic question, but is the reservoir full of fluid?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have found, with a failing clutch master, that if you stab the pedal with some exuberance it will work. I think the sudden stab blows up the lips on the rubber seals and gives you pressure for a short time - long enough to shift anyway.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If you don't have 4 jack-stands, buy 'em. IMO this job is not too hard for your average Circue du Soleil employee. Get the car as high up on the jack stands so you get get under the dash while kneeling next to vehicle with door open. You'll probably find yourself in various contorted positions while laying on the door threshold reaching into the pedal-box area. R&R'ing the Clutch M/C is not that hard. However, like the rear brakes on these cars, it'll never get bled right without a power bleeder.

When you remove the fitting for the M/C, make sure you place a catch and some rags underneath. That brake fluid will eat-up any paint it comes into contact with.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
1. Take the driver seat out. It's only four bolts and you won't get in there otherwise.

2. Lay on your back with your head under the pedals and your feet on the rear seat.

3. Grope around at the top of the clutch pedal and you'll find the mounting bolts, one under the pushrod (easy to get to) the other above (a complete **** to get to).

I used an allen key in a socket attached to the smallest ratchet I own as it was the only thing that would go near it but it was still a complete **** of a job. *

The replacement cylinder I bought (from a local parts place, WIN!) had an adjustable length pushrod on it so that bit was easy.

The failure indicator for mine was the clutch pedal staying on the floor. The "Keraaaang!!!!!" noise when trying to get first gear is usually slave going and to be fair, these go wrong much more often than the master. Check the slave first, on the plus side it's difficult but less so than the master to change.

*You may have guessed that I didn't enjoy doing this job...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts