Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My center and rear exhaust are rusted through and there are cracks in the pipes. In reading through posts, it seems straightforward to replace them. According to the exhaust diagram in the parts manual, I need one gasket between the catalytic converter and center exhaust and another gasket between the center and rear exhausts. I will also replace the rubber hanger.

Is there anything else I should purchase? Are there any potential problems I should be aware of?

I appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
If you have 170,000 miles on the original cat, it might be time to replace that as well.

There should be two hangers -- one on the center section, and one on the rear section.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just did it. It was as simple job but an extra pair of hands is helpful.

You are right about the gasket between the pipe and catalytic converter. In my case the one I got from centerline was the wrong one. There is another thick donut gasket between the center and the rear. It creates a gap between the two and looks strange, but that is how it fits. Make sure you trace the length of pipe to make sure you are not touching any part of the body.

I chose to replace my resonator - the rear muffler - with a stinger and I am very happy with the results. The exhaust note is nicer, not too loud, and it feels a bit quicker to drive, though I am sure it is in my head.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
get some nice new stainless bolts, nuts and washers before you start!......because the old ones will likely be stuck solid (hacksaw or small flex comes to mind to remove those!)

My experience is to leave the rear triangular join with the thick cone gasket fairly loose, till you are happy with the alignment of the rear section out the back (you can get it spot on with a little effort so it exits the rear valance dead centre)...then tighten that join evenly all way round......the large cone gasket squishes some to give a perfect seal.

·
Registered
837 Posts
As mentioned above, replace the two rubber hangers, but also remember that these rubber hangers also have a metal tube in the holes and steel plates on either side.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to remove the center and rear exhaust with no problem. I'm so glad I heard about PB Blaster on this forum. That stuff is great.

I'm confused about the tailpipe flange gasket. The one I got from IAP is hard metal. But their website shows one that appears to be a softer material.

Do I have the right part? The part number is 64101.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
You got the right one. It is the one I mentioned above and I used. The one I took out was metal too. Make sure it is seated evenly, and tighten into place. The pipes do not come together, there will be a gap and you will still see the gasket.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the new center and rear exhaust. The center exhaust barely clears the drive shaft and the rear bumps against the fuel tank. I'm not sure I connected the rubber hangers correctly. The first two pictures are of the hanger on the center exhaust and the last two are of the hanger on the rear exhaust. Can anyone verify if I put them on correctly?

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. Once I loosened the 3 bolts between the center and rear mufflers (as Dom suggested), I was able to get everything lined up with plenty of clearance before I tightened them back down.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I got a few questions on the size of the bolts and the order of connecting the exhausts. I hope this may help others making this repair.

I purchased stainless steel M8 x 40 mm bolts, washers, and nuts for the connection between the center and rear exhaust. I used a regular and lock washer on all connections. The order I reconnected the exhaust was as follows:

1. Connect center rubber hanger to undercarriage and center exhaust; don't tighten bolt to exhaust yet.
2. Connect center exhaust to catalytic converter.
3. Connect rear rubber hanger to undercarriage and to rear exhaust; don't tighten bolt to exhaust yet.
4. Connect rear exhaust to center exhaust with gasket in between; do not tighten bolts yet.
5. Make sure bolt connecting center exhaust to rubber hanger is at highest point of slot on center exhaust and tighten.
6. Pull down on connection between center/rear exhaust while pushing up on end of tailpipe; tighten 3 bolts starting with top ones first.
7. Have someone push down on tailpipe while you tighten bolt connecting rear exhaust to rubber hanger; it should be at highest point of slot on rear exhaust.

The first time I did this, I didn't follow steps 6 and 7 and the center exhaust touched the heat shield, causing a burning smell when driving. These steps allowed plenty of clearance.

I also recommend you put the 2 exhausts together on the ground to figure how they fit. It's much harder to figure things out when you are under the car.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Center exhaust

The downpipe/cat converter had some audible holes in it (which I didn't like) when I purchased my '88 Quad last month, so I decided to replace the cat section with a new one from Magnaflow. While in the process of doing that, I noticed that one of the POs had had a muffler shop do a cheap cut and swap of the center muffler (with a budget bullet) and failed to re-connect the hacked center section back up to the hanger. Of course this did nothing but cause excessive strain on the remaining two support points for the entire system: the exhaust manifold and the rear hanger (how can people be such clowns?).
Anyway, I thought I could do a decent job of jury-rigging a universal clamp and bracket between the center section and the stock rubber hanger (thank god the idiots were too lazy to remove it), but I hate to patch up one problem with more nonsense, so I decided to just buy a new stock/OEM aftermarket "center section" and put the thing back the way the Italian engineers designed it to be.
This thread has been very informative, and I think I now have a good idea of what additional items I need (doughnut gasket for center to rear connection + several SS bolts/nuts/washers). Does anyone know where to get the proper metal tube and rectangular plates for use with the thick rubber center section hangar, or should I just try to fab those myself?
I will definitely use the detailed step-by-step adjustment method described above.
Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Center silencer barely clears drive shaft

I installed the new center and rear exhaust. The center exhaust barely clears the drive shaft and the rear bumps against the fuel tank. I'm not sure I connected the rubber hangers correctly. The first two pictures are of the hanger on the center exhaust and the last two are of the hanger on the rear exhaust. Can anyone verify if I put them on correctly?
Hi Kim,

Recently, my forward rubber hanger (the one supporting the middle exhaust section) broke. The lower bolt had pulled through the rubber. The hanger was installed on the outboard side of the chassis bracket (see first picture below).

I thought the placement of the hanger (being on the outer side of the bracket) had possibly caused it's demise, because it seemed to have been using quite a bit of tension to keep the muffler away from the drive shaft, but it also could have failed just because of age. In any case, when I replaced it, I installed the new hanger strap on the inner (prop shaft) side of the chassis bracket (as you did), but with that setup I found the corner of the middle muffler was almost touching the drive shaft (see 2nd photo below).

I loosened all the bolts/nuts on the whole system and tried to adjust everything so that the center silencer was clear of the prop shaft, but the best I could do (with the hanger on the inner side of the chassis bracket as you had done) was to get the center muffler only about 1/4" from the drive shaft (shown in my last picture). Should I be concerned about this?

How far were you able to get your center muffler away from your drive line? Do you think I should move my center muffler hanger back to the "outer" chassis mount position (as shown in my first photo) to try and pull the muffler farther towards the outer side of the car (and away from the drive line), or will I be OK with only the 1/4" clearance from the prop shaft that I have now?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need to jack up the car and get some pictures. Probably won't be able to get to it until Saturday.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts