Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I are replacing the ABS system with the non ABS on our 1988 Milano.We have removed the master cyl. and pedal assembly,removed ABS relays.We were wondering what things will need to be done,other than brake lines etc ?Any help will be greatly appreceated.Thank you

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why wouldt you want to remove the ABS system?
Just wondering...

·
Registered
629 Posts
gday Marc,
If you have removed the main system. I would leave the rest like wheel impulse pick-up
untill you are happy with the braking because if you are not happy theres no going back.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Sounds like you have removed what you need to, the whole pedal assembly needs to be replaced, then the front brake lines will make life easier of they are replaced, the rear brake line can be replaced too, there is a junction right under the firewall so you only have to replace the front section of the rear line.

Pump and accum failure is pretty common given the age of the cars, and replacement parts price and availability is also a reason to replace the system.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I think a search will reveal a lot of information on the subject. I specifically recall a thread named ABSectomy, or something like that. You will also find people in favor of retaining the ABS, and sourecs of ABS parts from more common cars that can be used on the Milano.
Jes

·
Registered
111 Posts
no brake lights?

Marc and I have converted our Platinum over to the non-ABS brake system. The brakes work fine but no brake lights:mad:. The switch at the pedal is working and the fuse is okay.

One of the four leads from the brake lights switch goes to the ARC. Is there some sort of interlock with the ABS that, when removed, renders the brake lights inoperable?

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Did you happen to disconnect the ARC "ECUs" above the blove box? The brake lights are wired in with the ARC, and without those modules connected you will not have brake lights (unless you modify the wiring).
Jes

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for that. Although the ARC has not been touched, I was wondering if since the brake light switch wires into the ARC that maybe that had something to do with it. Since the ABS is no more, is there an easy (???) way to run a jumper around the ARC so I can get brake-lights?

Thanks!
Peter

·
Registered
111 Posts
how do you remove the ARC?

Sorry, let me try that again. How do I rewire the car to completely eliminate the ARC? We are making our own diagnostic system, making the ARC redundant at best. Disconnecting the ARC is not that simple I gather?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I suppose you need to get the wiring diagrams for the ARC out and start studying - pretty well integrated into the warning lights for brakes etc.
Jes

·
Registered
816 Posts
ARC panel

Unless my memory is failing, I removed the ashtray and unplugged the ARC plugs. It was easy and I don't think that any rewiring was necessary. Removing the Milano ABS and the ARC panel shouldn't have any affect on the rest of the car.
KG
Alfas Unlimited

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Removing the Milano ABS and the ARC panel shouldn't have any affect on the rest of the car.
If you just remove the ARC display you are ok, but if you remove the ARC ECU (which is above the shelf above the glove box) you will not have brake lights (and possibly other warning lights).
Jes

·
Registered
816 Posts
Arc

You're probably right; I was too lazy to go any further than disconnecting all the flashing lights. Here in New England, in cold weather, the ARC panel would go nuts in the morning. I got sick of the "Disco lights" and simply disconnected the head unit. I was told at the time, that Peugeot used a similar system, if anyone is interested. I guess the point was, that Peugeot might have a better wiring diagram or diagnostic tree.
KG

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry if I missed a discussion in another thread, but for those with flashing ARC problems, have you tried Gubi's fix? We applied it to several cars including my own to great results - it all works as intended!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/69476-real-fix-arc-blinking-lights.html

As for the brakes, I prefer the firm and easily modulated feel of the ABS brakes vs the softer non-ABS setup. Granted I've had to replace the accumulator a few times, and the pump once, but those are generic parts that can be sourced from many places much more cheaply than Alfa parts suppliers (search out Nizam's posts among others). It appears that cars that get frequent brake flushing (such as preparing for track), have fewer problems than cars that see infrequent fluid changes. No doubt due to hygroscopic qualities of brake fluid causing internal corrosion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts