Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating a GT, Anybody have any comments on putting a 2000 engine and transmission in a 1300 powered GT. Will it work easily or require some modification. How different is the gear box? The car is a 66 but has tranny problems, and I have a spider engine with tranny, which i fgure is easier for parts. Any relayed experiences? cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
It should go straight in. Then you will have a hydraulic clutch instead of mechanical to work out. No real problems, maybe the original clutch reaction rod length may need changing. You may have an issue with the exhaust as the 1300 lump isn't quite as tall. Use the 2000 headers and the original downpipe and see how you go.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You'll have to consider the rear shaft. The 1300/1600 cc run a short gearing and the 2000cc had higher gearing and LSD (limited slip diff) to counter the higher power and lower revolutions of the bigger engine.
If you have the rear shaft of the 2000 Spider, it will probably be a strait fit.
Erik

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Go for it!--you have more room, including height than with my recent instal into a Giulietta Spider.:)

This is covered in that section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts