Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is parts pix of Alfa 164 12v serpentine pulley set up:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/27056-alfa-164-12v-v6-belt-routings.html#post229183

Using a 434460 Fiat DOHC 71-85 engine timing belt pulley to replace Alfa pulley not to hard to do.

In order to use Alfa 164 item 6 bolt and item 4 bushings you should grind flat the backside of item 7 bracket, add a large washer under head of bolt 6.

Large washer has to be larger than ID of Fiat bearing to keep it on bracket 7 and by grinding flat backside of bracket over threaded bolt hole allows bolt 6 threads to come through bracket 7 far enough to add a thin bevel or wavy lock washer and nut. If bolt not long enough for lock washer use blue loctite on thread of bolt and then install nut.

Caution you need to invert outer bushing so large washer will have a flat surface to lay on and keep washer flat against edge of inner ID of bearing hole

You can remove item 4 bushings from old Alfa 164 pulley using either a hammer and punch or chisel.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Thanks Steve. How much is the Fiat pulley?

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm not fully following you on this Steve. It looks like the original bushings are "floating" inside the Fiat bearing, not really doing anything at all. I must be missing something.

FWIW, I've been using this Fiat bearing for years, but I made my own bushings that replicated the factory approach, just with the correct dims for the Fiat double-row bearing as pictured here.

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm not fully following you on this Steve. It looks like the original bushings are "floating" inside the Fiat bearing, not really doing anything at all. I must be missing something.

FWIW, I've been using this Fiat bearing for years, but I made my own bushings that replicated the factory approach, just with the correct dims for the Fiat double-row bearing as pictured here.
They are not floating as OD of lip on 164 bushing same as ID of Fiat bearing so inserting inner one on bracket side with lip facing bracket and outer one with lip inward against inner bushing gives two surfaces spaced apart to to support Fiat bearing. Inner edge of race lays agaisnst 164 bracket and large washer on outside keeps bearing and pulley assembly from coming off bracket.

If you use the Ford bearing and pulley assembly YS-233 F8KZ-8678-AA it comes with spacer inside bearing ID same diameter as Fiat bearing and a large washer under head of bolt to hold it on bracket so very similiar design.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C5C588/ref=asc_df_B000C5C5881422000?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-95-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000C5C588

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ah, okay, got it. And is the combined depth of the two bushings equal to the inner width of the Fiat bearing? I suppose they don't need to match exactly.
Not quite but close enough. Important factors are large strong washer under bolt head to cover over the edge of inner ID of bearing and grinding down backside of bracket so Alfa 164 original allen head bolt therads come through enough to install safety nut (Or use longer bolt of least 8.8 harness and nut if you don't grind down around threaded bolt hole to install nut). I like to use blue loctite, too.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
I wonder if Jason can prep these bearings with Krytox lube. With this high temp lube, and half the loading due to double row, we would end up with a setup with no worries. I have been running a Krytoxed bearing, but the loading/rpm ratio is still high enough to cause long term worry.

·
Premium Member
9,807 Posts
I wonder if Jason can prep these bearings with Krytox lube. With this high temp lube, and half the loading due to double row, we would end up with a setup with no worries. I have been running a Krytoxed bearing, but the loading/rpm ratio is still high enough to cause long term worry.
I have one laying around, will look at it and see if I can pull the seal. It should not be a big deal if I can.

Maybe I should have some bushings made up for this bearing because there is nothing available except from a 155 and it is slightly smaller on the belt face.

Jason

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I've been wanting to try the Fiat T/B bearing for sometime. Some bushings made to fit the Fiat bearing would be awesome. I would buy some if you have some made.
Charles

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I was hearing some pulley noises a few days ago and knew it was time to replace. Went in yesterday and sure enough, the pulley was smooth but had too much play making warning noises when in use that you should not ignore. So, finally I got to use the Fiat bearing that has been on the shelf. Your system of using the old bushings worked perfectly Steve, thanks for that post! I did not grind down the back of the bracket though, but went to Ace and got a longer bolt, already had a heavy duty fender washer that was perfect. The bearing I used was a Breda Italy CR.1662 for Fiat 132 2.0 more numbers on the box: 4443446 and 2FOF95317212. That bearing is heavy duty! Tightened the p/s belt and buttoned her up again. :001_cool:
Charles

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
Been running one for some time now, but always carry a small kit containing a spare regular pulley (w/Krytox grease), belt, and the tools to replace it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts