Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a 62 Giulietta Spider and the seats were pretty rusted. I removed the seats and then attempted to remove the seat rails. The screws securing the seat rails to the floor were in very rusted condition and I eventually had to drill several of them out. I generally make a strong effort to re-use all fastening hardware, but in this case it just wasn't possible. Does anyone know a good place to obtain Alfa fastening hardware (screws and bolts) ?

Thanks, Norman

·
Registered
521 Posts
Are you asking about exact equivalent fasteners or general metric parts?
For generic metric fasteners, your local hardware store or suppliers like fastenal , belmetric, and mmc will be able to supply most of your needs.
Be aware that fastener standards have changed since the 1960s. Most markings and some head sizes will not match your originals.
The most common example is the 14mm head size on all your M8 fasteners. Try to salvage these, although replacements are available from Ferrari suppliers (at Ferrari prices) such as newcoproducts.
Flat head screws used to come in two series small and large heads
I believe the flat head screws in your seat rails were a smaller head size than today’s available screws. You will need to find some originals, or grind down the heads on modern screws which is what I did.
Try to save the flat head screws on the door catch. These have a large head which is not commonly available.

Joe

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Being a late Spider (after 1495*69565), it would have 8 x 1.25 x 12 Fillister head screw and star washer. CAD (silver) plated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being a late Spider (after 1495*69565), it would have 8 x 1.25 x 12 Fillister head screw and star washer. CAD (silver) plated.
Are you asking about exact equivalent fasteners or general metric parts?
For generic metric fasteners, your local hardware store or suppliers like fastenal , belmetric, and mmc will be able to supply most of your needs.
Be aware that fastener standards have changed since the 1960s. Most markings and some head sizes will not match your originals.
The most common example is the 14mm head size on all your M8 fasteners. Try to salvage these, although replacements are available from Ferrari suppliers (at Ferrari prices) such as newcoproducts.
Flat head screws used to come in two series small and large heads
I believe the flat head screws in your seat rails were a smaller head size than today’s available screws. You will need to find some originals, or grind down the heads on modern screws which is what I did.
Try to save the flat head screws on the door catch. These have a large head which is not commonly available.

Joe
To the seat, but not to the floor.
Joe
As you said, these are M8 x 1.25 and 15mm (length). I measured the head size and it came out to about 13.25 mm. Don't know if that makes sense, but this photo shows that it's definitely less than 14 mm.

Also as Joe said these screws are from the seat rail to the floor. I managed to salvage all the other fastening hardware for the seat assembly, but these ones down by the floor have disintegrated to the point that I can't even fit a Phillips screwdriver into them any longer.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Norman, were those flat head screws or not? Can’t tell from the photo.
Carl, can you clarify that chassis number?
Was that the change point for the seat pedestal style?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Norman, were those flat head screws or not? Can’t tell from the photo.
Carl, can you clarify that chassis number?
Was that the change point for the seat pedestal style?
They are flat head screws that fit into a sloped indentation in the rail base.

The VIN # AR370654

Not sure, what you mean by the change point for the seat pedestal style? Here is a photo for one of the seat rails that hasn't been removed yet.

Also thanks a lot for your knowledgeable assistance

Norman

·
Registered
521 Posts
Norman,
Those are the flat head screws I was talking about; I believe if you replace those with contemporary screws the heads will be too high for the rollers in the seat slide to pass over.
Sorry if my second question was confusing.
There is a difference in the way the lower slides were attached to the floor between early and late 101s, but I’ve never been sure when the change occurred.
Carl quoted a chassis number in his post, but it seems to contain a typo. Can you clarify the number, Carl? And is this the point at which the track spacing also changed?

Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Norman,
Those are the flat head screws I was talking about; I believe if you replace those with contemporary screws the heads will be too high for the rollers in the seat slide to pass over.
Sorry if my second question was confusing.
There is a difference in the way the lower slides were attached to the floor between early and late 101s, but I’ve never been sure when the change occurred.
Carl quoted a chassis number in his post, but it seems to contain a typo. Can you clarify the number, Carl? And is this the point at which the track spacing also changed?

Joe
At a price of $2.00 for a set of four, I think I'll just purchase two sets and give them a try. If it doesn't work out, well that's about the cost of one beer and I think I can live with that loss. Also if they don't fit, they seem like they might be close enough to be modified to fit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts