Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a little winter project, I want to replace the worn drivers side door weather seal on my '91 S4. It has a worn hole where a shoe would scuff across getting in/out. ( I didn't do it :001_unsure:......been like that since I bought the car).

Any recommendations on where to buy or what to use? Any trick to installing or is it as straight forward as it looks? The seal looks rather generic but I wanted to get input from the forum.

Thanks.
Dave

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can buy a new weatherstrip for the door at any of the usual Alfa suppliers. The fuzzy kind matches the original.

Installation requires no glue as the strip has a metal clamp built in. The only hard part is going around the inside curves in the door frame—make sure you give it enough radius and push it down all the way. If you're short and take it off to fit it around again, eventually the metal clamp strip will get distorted and not hold tightly so take your time as you go around the frame. The last step is to cut off the excess with tin snips and reattach the trim piece on the windshield frame.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Most of the Alfa suppliers offer a rubber door seal product, but there are two different interior material options available. The common (and lower cost) version is kind of fuzzy, and the original equipment (nicer quality and higher price) has a velour trim on the interior portion. If you are going for a concours-level replacement, you will want the velours type. The last time I checked prices, the original/velour/deluxe version was going for about $175 USD, while the common fuzzy trim was only around $50 USD (per door).

Installation is the same for both versions, and I believe IAP has a video of the process available on YouTube. In any case, it's very easy and straightforward - unscrew the metal sill plate and trim pieces, remove old seal, start at the rear of the door and just push the new seal onto the door flange working down and forward. Work slowly down the rear door flange, along the bottom towards the front, and then up on the front edge. IMPORTANT: Make sure to push the seal into the two corners at the base of the door frame very securely.

You will also want to save the plugs in the ends of your old seal to re-use in the ends of your new seal. If you don't have plugs in the ends of your old seal, you should buy some to use in your new weatherstrip.

A few of the suppliers sell little cylindrical rubber plugs for this use, but the factory convertible manual recommends shoving a 5" piece of 1/4" square foam into the end of the seal tube (after applying adhesive on the last 1/2"):

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts