Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '74 GTV, first Alfa. Excited but need a fix before i'm comfortable driving all around --> one tie-rod end is wore out. my questions are:

a) replace one, or all?

b) what are good shops to buy at? I see:
INTERNATIONAL AUTO PARTS (in advert above)
CENTERLINE PROUCTS (also above)
SPRUELL MOTORSPORT (another on-line source)

does one have better pricing, or higher quality in general? do either have OEM? not looking for 'exact restore' but rather 'fun street / track day car' so exact adherence to OEM not required! I'm trying to determine which shops have the good reputations and make the good parts.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
Best to replace them all "while you're in there" unless some look new of course. Spruell is a good source as well. Most sell the 6 as a set and since you just got it you'll probably want to check/set the front end aligment and might as well have new parts when doing that. I don't know what you have or haven't checked or conditon of the car so I'll avoid a long list of things to check/service. Photos, Photos, we like photos and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
811 Posts
When I first got my car it also had A bad tie rod end . So I changes it and all was well ... for a short time then the next one went bad so I changed it ... and then when the next one went I changed all the others .

Do them all and save the time and money . Centerline has a full front end kit
Centerline Products: BJ125 Front Suspension Rebuild Kit - 105, 115 Cars ALL

The next problem I had was the old non-adjustable upper control arms.
When I took the car for the first alignment they found the camber was correct on the drivers side and off on the passengers side . So then I place another order.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I decided to change all of my tie rod ends since the car was already up on blocks and they were all pretty old anyways. Once you're in there, it's also a good idea to see if there's any play in the steering box and idler box. I bought mine from one of the UK vendors. The tie rod ends are all made by Frap which by some accounts is not the best company but the premium Lemforders were a lot more expensive.

DSCF3424.jpg

Here's a handy little tool to pop off the old tie rod ends. Just tighten it up and hit the side of the rod end with a hammer and it pops off.

DSCF3425.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Nice tool, if you hit it in the "sweet" spot the tool is unecessary. How about some photos of the car! Congrats on getting what we've all had more than once, "While I'm in ther itus". Won't be the last:)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
If you can get your front end guy to take his eyes off the computer (Alfas are listed) for a second and request he set the toe of the left side, measure the length of that tie rod end and then set the right tie rod end to that measurement minus 5mm and then adjust the toe of the right wheel by using the center rod try and do so. That is the factory procedure. Most will just adjust the outer rods and leave the inner one alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts