Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just received two door keys cut to my code (from the original key) from www.keys4classics.com - they keys work well and the entire process from emailing my info to getting the keys (from Australia) was about ten days - cost for the two keys cut to my code was $23.90 inc. shipping. FYI car is '91 Spider. Key blank is aftermarket in same shape as original key - pictured on their website. Just a satisfied customer....

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
What a coincidence!! Just lost my spare key (have one left) and was wondering where I could get a new key should I loose the only one I have left. Better get a copy made before I loose it, no?

Hellooooooo, Home Depot.....(with a blank from an Alfa parts supplier....

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you need a new key fast you can always have them cut one from a Fiat blank at your local hardware store. I had to do this once when the car had to go to the shop the next day, and I only had one key. No one has any Alfa blanks, but almost everyone has Fiat blanks.

Andy

·
Registered
936 Posts
Where can one find Alfa blanks?
the same place from the first post.

i just recieved, yesterday, 3 Alfa key blanks from Keys4classics.com for $23.90. thats including shipping from Australia to US. so it looks like 2 cut keys are the same price as 3 blanks.

while the important part of the key is the same, they are slightly different than my original. the edges of the plastic key grip are squared off on the new keys, while my sole original has nice soft radiused edges.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Keys4classics worked for me. I just sent them a couple of photos of my existing key set and they verified the blank numbers.
I ordered the blanks from them and had ACE cut them. Work great.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I had Keys 4 Classics cut mine from the code a few years ago. They arrived quickly, and unlike copying a worn key, they work like new, not the least bit of sticking or not wanting to turn. I use one and keep the other unused so I can use it to copy from if need be (and I got some NOS Alfa key blanks on eBay a few years ago, so I can copy onto those).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a code # on the door and trunk locks in a 78 spider? I've never had keys for anything except the ignition. It might be worth it to pull the locks if there is a # on them to get keys cut.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
while the important part of the key is the same, they are slightly different than my original. the edges of the plastic key grip are squared off on the new keys, while my sole original has nice soft radiused edges.
That wouldn't be due to years of use now would it?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
thats what i just received. they are identical to Spider keys of the same year . . . :)
of the same year is probably the key (no pun intended). I ordered two keys from keys4classics, for my 67 Duetto. That car does not have the original ignition switch, but I think it's the exact same. The pics for key that they advertise for the Spider Graduate 70-80 looked like an exact fit for the Duetto....The size indicator seemed to substantiate that. When I got the keys, they were actually an exact match to the 69 1750 GTV keys that I have. It looked like they would not fit the 67 Duetto. My locksmith was able to make it work by removing some material from the bottom of the blank though...works like a charm!! Here's what we did

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts