Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through much help from this board, I've come to the realization that my gas gauge is shot. It's a Veglia. Now the problem is where can I get a replacement? I've looked into many of the online sources and no one sells them. I called IAP and they told me that no one has them because they haven't been made for years. Does anyone know of a source? I even sent an email to Palo Alto Speedometer to see if they can fix it(haven't heard back yet).

·
Premium Member
21,380 Posts
I might have one; can you post a picture of yours so I can compare? I have a whole box full of small gauges. Also try APE (209) 833-8330.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,380 Posts
I'll look. Just to confirm, with the key on, you've grounded the gauge wire, and the gauge didn't respond by showing full? Ditto with the reserve light wire?

Andrew

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a thread that I started called "Gas Gauge Issues" that show everything I've tried. This is the last post, summarizing the steps:

1. The tank is grounded
2. The gauge is grounded - see note below
3. When grounding out the terminals at the sender, the low fuel wire(white w/stripe) lights up the warning light. The purple wire does nothing
4. A continuity test on the purple wire shows it is not broken.
5. My friend said he grounded out the gauge and there was never any movement of the needle. I told him of the compatibilty issue of gauge and sender, but he said by grounding out the gauge it still should of registered because at that point the sending unit was out of the picture. So his thoughts are that the gauge is bad
6. I have not pulled the sender yet, it's something I hope I wouldn't have to do.

I am going to send this along to EB Spares and see what they think. But if my friend is correct, where can I get a replacement? And if I do, should it be a Jaeger?

Note: Late news!.....
When the black ground wire is disconnected from the gauge, the gauge case still shows a ground. So the gauge is grounding itself internally, hence a bad gauge? Using the wiring diagram that Papajam sent me, it shows that there should be only one ground(black wire)

·
Premium Member
21,380 Posts
I found a fuel gauge, same as above, marked as good in 2002 from Jon Norman's attic, and which responded when I hooked it up. Email me at andrew dot watry at lexisnexis dot com if you're still interested.

Andrew

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The saga continues....I received the gauge from Andrew and excitingly plugged it in. The needle started to move, hurray! But it continued to move all the way to 4/4 and the red low fuel light was on!? Then I thought that maybe the wires at the sender were on backwards so I switched them. Turn the car on and the gauge move to 3/4. I am guessing I have around 3/4 because the odomoeter is showing 60 miles. As I was watching, it all of a sudden moved up past 4/4. I unplugged it, plugged in my old one and the low fuel light lit up, but the gauge stayed at zero(the way it has always been). I've been getting home a dusk so I haven't had the greatest light to work in, so I'll see what happens this weekend when I have more time and light to fiddle around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts