Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I just bought a new fuel tank from Centerline. My old tank had a bottom pick up tube with no internal fuel pump. After describing my old tank to Ian we decided on the bottom pick-up, lower passenger side of tank version. No internal fuel pump. The problem is the location of the fill tube is about 21/2 inches further forward on the tank. Also because of this the cover that bolts over the tank does not fit. I will have to cut a larger hole on the cover to accommodate the fill tube. Has anyone went with this style tank? Should I have goe with the internal fuel pump version and just bought the internal pump? Could I use the other tank and just attach a hose to the sending unit for the bottom feed pick up?
Thanks, Rich

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
Where are you located?
What car are you referring to?
It helps to give us these references to better help you.

If you are referring to an early Spica Spider, I just bought a new tank from Classic Alfa in the UK. Fit perfectly in all regards. Total price, including shipping, less than $300.

I’ve got my original tank, if you’re close by. Just needs a good cleaning. I’m in the process of getting info to a fellow on the east coast, but would rather deal locally.

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
BTW, what do you mean by

Could I use the other tank and just attach a hose to the sending unit for the bottom feed pick up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are you located?
What car are you referring to?
It helps to give us these references to better help you.

If you are referring to an early Spica Spider, I just bought a new tank from Classic Alfa in the UK. Fit perfectly in all regards. Total price, including shipping, less than $300.

I’ve got my original tank, if you’re close by. Just needs a good cleaning. I’m in the process of getting info to a fellow on the east coast, but would rather deal locally.
I am located in Palm City, south Florida. The Alfa is a 1979 Spider Veloce, that I have owned since 1980. I mothballed the car in the late eighties. The other tank I am speaking of is the other tank offered by CenterLine. This tank needs the internal fuel pump because the pickup is integral to the sending unit. The fill tube is the same as my old tank. I just finished plumbing the new tank. The supply pickup being located at the bottom of the tank I used a short hose section to connect a copper tube from the tank nipple to the in-line fuel filter. My reasoning for this is because the line runs directly under the exhaust. I was able to finagle the fill hose to the tank fill. It has a bit of a kink but nothing that would restrict fuel flow. The only headache now is having to enlarge the hole in the tank cover in the trunk. The tank I have is CenterLine part # GT205 Spica 1975-1977. 387.50 total with shipping.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I went through a very similar situation!

Do NOT modify anything!

Return the tank that doesn’t work and purchase the correct tank!
Trust me I’ve been there and done that.

Have the old one at the ready for comparison.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went through a very similar situation!

Do NOT modify anything!

Return the tank that doesn’t work and purchase the correct tank!
Trust me I’ve been there and done that.

Have the old one at the ready for comparison.
Tremera 613, Great Idea, but all the tanks I have seen are not the same as mine. I spoke with CenterLine and we went over the particulars of my tank and there is no exact copy. They offer the two varieties for a Spider and Mr. Fiat and Vicks offer the same models. As I described above, my tank has the pickup at the bottom of the tank(no internal pump). The tank with the fill pipe the same as mine has no pickup in the tank. It is in the sending unit with the internal pump. The tank I have has a bottom pickup in the passenger side lower corner. I have installed the tank and re-plumbed. The ***** is I will have to enlarge the hole in the tank cover in the trunk to fit the slightly different location of the fill pipe. What is the type of tank you have and what is the plumbing like

·
Registered
748 Posts
Mine was a 73’ spider spica tank
Standby for pictures

Are you sure the previous owner didn’t mess with the original?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine was a 73’ spider spica tank
Standby for pictures

Are you sure the previous owner didn’t mess with the original?
I bought the car in early 1980. There was one previous owner who put the car up for sale with 7000 miles on it. No rear end damage but a nose damage that I agreed would be repaired. The more I look into this Alfa, they produced models with varying subtleties from model year to model year. I have an older Ferrari that I know is not the same from model year to model year or even the same year. I thought with the higher production numbers of Alfas there would be more consistency. Obviously they used up whatever was at hand like smaller production number manufacturers. Now I find myself making the best with what is being offered in aftermarket parts.

·
Super Moderator
10,603 Posts
I've been following this thread, but haven't had a lot to contribute as I've never owned a spider from this era. And it sounds like tremere613 is now fairly invested in making that wrong tank right. But there's still one thing nagging at me:

tremere613: What was wrong with your old fuel tank? After all you've been through, wouldn't it have been easier to have the old one cleaned, patched, or whatever it needed, rather than buying and modifying an incorrect tank?

Hindsight is easy, and when Centerline told you this tank would work, you no doubt believed them. But was your old tank really so trashed as to justify all the bodges this conversion has required?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A 79 should have had the in tank boost pump recall done.
Thanks Odie, That looks like the problem. My 79 made it out of the factory without the boost pump. The one paragraph in the Spica manual, said it was not a must to retrofit with the boost pump. What are your thoughts? I already have installed the new tank. Once again the only problem is cutting the bigger hole in the tank cover in the trunk, to fit the tank fill bib.

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
A frequent ambiguity in Alfas is a discrepancy between build date, model year, and model year on registration.

An Alfa registered as a 1979 could have been built in 78, or in an extreme case, 77. During that range of years, Alfa shifted from bottom fuel feed to top feed, AND had a sort of recall where an in-tank pump had to be added because the top feed without pump wasn’t working well.

If a top-feed tank matches up well with your fuel filler, and other dimensions, then I would use that tank, get the top-feed sender, in-tank pump, and wire it all up.

I strongly recommend against a copper pipe connecting from the bottom port. It will get hot, and transfer that heat to the fuel, plus the high temp will eventually harden the copper, increasing odds of a crack. Of course, a top feed tank will solve that problem as well.

I also recommend you check the tanks offered at Classic Alfa.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Odie, That looks like the problem. My 79 made it out of the factory without the boost pump. The one paragraph in the Spica manual, said it was not a must to retrofit with the boost pump. What are your thoughts? I already have installed the new tank. Once again the only problem is cutting the bigger hole in the tank cover in the trunk, to fit the tank fill bib.
Alfajay, I'm the knucklehead with the tank problem. The car sat for about 32 years with some gas in the tank. It is beyond restoring.

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
I’m pretty sure a 79 would NOT have been delivered with a bottom feed tank.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I bought the car in early 1980. There was one previous owner who put the car up for sale with 7000 miles on it. No rear end damage but a nose damage that I agreed would be repaired. The more I look into this Alfa, they produced models with varying subtleties from model year to model year. I have an older Ferrari that I know is not the same from model year to model year or even the same year. I thought with the higher production numbers of Alfas there would be more consistency. Obviously they used up whatever was at hand like smaller production number manufacturers. Now I find myself making the best with what is being offered in aftermarket parts.
Of the pictures I sent

Do any of the tanks look familiar?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of the pictures I sent

Do any of the tanks look familiar?
I want to thank all you guys for the input. I am taking the consensus of advice and have just ordered the other tank from Centerline along with the boost pump. They will return my other tank but it will end up costing me about $150.00 total in the 3 shipping costs. I would rather do it right than make all these conversions to save a few bucks. While we are on the subject, any suggestions for how I should wire for the boost pump.
Thanks in advance. rich b

·
Push hard and live
9,614 Posts
Centerline is making you pay to return a wrong tank?

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Alfa went to top feed tanks for the 1977 model year.

Intank pump was added in the 1980 model year.

Recall covered the 1977 thru 1979 Spiders.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts