Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bearing in the AC tensioner pulley on my 84 GTV6 is squeaking when cold, and I have it off at the moment and the bearing sounds like it has lost all its grease.

Does anybody know what size bearing that is? And how to press it out?

Id rather not destroy the seal or the bearing until I know I can get another replacement. I'm not sure if it matters who h direction to try to press it out. I do have a press so I just need a replacement bearing.

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
311 Posts
I replaced mine with a new tensioner pulley off of a 90s Nissan Pathfinder. Have to machine the mounting spindle down a bit to fit the slightly smaller bearing ID. I might have the part no. If interested.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
If you take the bearing to an industrial power transmission supply place, they can match it for you with a new replacement. That's the easier route to take, IMO.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you take the bearing to an industrial power transmission supply place, they can match it for you with a new replacement. That's the easier route to take, IMO.
That sounds like a good idea. But how do I get it out? If I pull off the seals will it be obvious which way to press it out?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Ian, just look to see if it is pressed in against a shoulder in the pulley. If you do have a press, then try it and you'll soon see which way it comes out. Hey-- it went in there, it has to come out, right? The bearing supply house just needs to measure the ID, the OD and the width of the bearing. It's probably a sealed ball, or maybe a roller bearing.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Very likely the bearing number is right there on the seal. Clean it off and take a look.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I replaced mine with a new tensioner pulley off of a 90s Nissan Pathfinder. Have to machine the mounting spindle down a bit to fit the slightly smaller bearing ID. I might have the part no. If interested.
I would like that part number, also any pics you might have.

In regards to the OEM pulley, there is a thin metal lip on one side of the pulley. That lip was pressed down over the bearing edge (the OD). You have to pry up that edge with a small screwdriver. Then you can push the bearing out. You can grind off that lip or hammer it back into place when you fit the new bearing.

Bye

1 - 8 of 8 Posts