Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a couple of existing threads regarding 105-series wiper motors. I have a 1972 Berlina that has the older three-pin connector on the motor (red, green, and white wires connecting to the same three colors for the wires that pass through the bulkhead and into the car). I have to replace the motor but the replacement has the later four-wire setup of blue, grey, blue/grey, blue/black.

I was wondering if anyone had information that could help me map the two sets of wires together? I was advised that one of my four new wires went to ground, but the motor appears to already be grounded through the case anyway. I have attached a picture of the new motor (cover removed) in case that helps. I have the correct wiring diagram for my car but not one that shows the four-pin wiper motor connection.

Many thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
What you have is a newer 2 speed motor !
Contact Pappajam for a wire diagram and you can select the high speed wire for your existing connection.
Or, it is possible to add a 2 speed switch and wireing and use that feature.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I have sent a PM to papajam. My car does already have a two-speed wiper system/switch though, operational via only three wires. So the problem of four into three remains...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had this problem on my 1750 GTV, I had to by a diode (from memory, my knowledge of electronics isn't great) from classic alfa in the uk, to wire into the system to allow the 4 wire system to work with self park function in a car designed for a 3 wire system.
They were really helpful and also sent me a wiring diagram. Now it works fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A big thank you to everyone who's offered advice, especially papajam for the technical service bulletin. Thought I'd let you know how it all turned out, in case it's useful to anyone in the future.

I installed the fourth wire as per the TSB. It proved impossible to route the wire with the other three inside the wing without taking large pieces off the car so I threaded it out of the bulkhead alongside the fresh air vent rubber insert.

Mapping the wires to the new motor (an OSLV one bought from EB Spares in the UK) was a nightmare. Through a combination of my own wiring diagram (which didn't entirely match the car), info elsewhere on Alfa BB, and a wiring diagram for a later car from papajam, I came up with the following color mapping, which may or may not be correct:

Key: Old motor wire – Wire to switch in car – New motor wire
Red – Blue/black – Blue/black
White – White/black – Blue/white
Green – Blue – Grey
(none) – Grey (as per TSB) – Blue

Having wired in the motor I turned my attention to the switch. The TSB says that terminals 5, 1, 8 and 3 should be used, but because not all of these options were available on my switch and I didn't want to replace it (though I might do at a later date) I ended up just playing with combinations until I had two-speed wipers working in the correct switch positions. For the record, I connected up the wires as follows: 4 (Blue/black), 6 (Grey), 7 (Blue), 8 (White/black).

Having refitted the valence and reassembled the wipers (and done a lot of fiddling to ensure they didn't collide when clapping hands...) I once more have working two-speed wipers. Another owner advised me to thoroughly lubricate the wiper mechanism to reduce the chances of putting undue strain on the new motor.

The only thing that doesn't now work is the automatic 'park' function. I don't know if this is because I've wired something wrong, or because the motor I now have doesn't offer this function. Doubtless somebody out there can tell me? For the time being I'm switching off the wipers (wait for it)....now!

·
Premium Member
14,934 Posts
I think that the later style 4 wire motors must be used in conjunction with the 8 terminal switch to get the park function. There is a closed contact in the switch when it is in the OFF position and this is used to make the park circuit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This isn't directly related to this problem, but may help someone who is having problems with 105 wiper motors.

My '72 Spider's wipers (car owned since 1997) were increasingly cranky, never parked as they should, then quit altogether. I consulted a Papajam wiring diagram, found that a jumper wire it called for had not been on the car when I bought it. Maybe it had never been there.

I installed a jumper, and the wipers work as they should have from the factory with automatic park and all. That's such fun!

Be sure your wiring is correct, folks.

Oregon Director of SNO, Unaware of the Membership

1 - 9 of 9 Posts