Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title says it all. Performed timing belt replacement. Used factory tools to lock cams and have confirmed that timing was and is correct. You can hear an audible howl originating from the timing belt. I have also removed the serp belt to isolate and make sure the noise is coming from the timing belt. Belt feels a little too tight and I have attached a picture of the belt tensioner as I question if it is working/configured properly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Stop___dont run the car

the tensioner is too tight!!! There should be 1/8 inch of the plunger coming out of the tensioner against the lever arm!

There is a TSB on setting the timing and you could look at john harrills EXCELLENT photo guide. Use SEARCH function to find 24Valve tiiming by John Harrill -- FOUND IT here ya go

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/26599-24v-timing-belt-questions.html

When setting the tension the tensioner (the metal cylinder with a plunger) MUST have a 1/16 pin inserted into body and thru the plunger to hold it in position, when you compete the tensioning process using the eccentric round bearing, then remove the pin

RIght now you are in grave danger of breaking the belt and crashing the valves

·
Registered
503 Posts
You have the eccentric maxed out! You need to start over. Throw away this belt and get a new one. Double check the bearings to make sure they are not damaged too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Did you have the pin in the tensioner when you put the weighted arm on to set the tension? You need to.

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
maybe not--belt discard that is

It depends on how long he ran it for (if less than a couple minutes I would'nt throw it away) and agree on checking all idlers --

and jason you are spot on -- if that eccentric rotates half a degree clockwise its back under center ! I don;t think i've ever seen one that tight--once the gap comes back from the misdajusted tsubaki lever the two holes should be closer to 12 -1 o clock rather than 2-3 o clock!

just my 2cents!

·
Registered
503 Posts
If less than a couple minutes, yes. Otherwise the engine thermal expansion will have strained the belt while it was maxed out against the tensioner.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,580 Posts
As stated above looks like you have tensioner piston fully compreessed so max stress on belt.

Did you follow tech bulletins and start with 1/16" rig pin through tensioner housing and hollow hole in piston? Then with 1/16" rig pin installed did you set 1/8" air gap between tensioner body and flat lug on tensioner pulley bracket?

Did you follow 24v TSB found on this site? Alfa 164 Service Bulletins

1 - 7 of 7 Posts