Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I drove my 164L I heard a bearing whine from up front, so today I decided to do a preemptive strike. The culprit was the serpentine tensioner bearing, as expected. I had one sieze on another car and it was inconvenient at best!
The P.O. had given me a substantial stash of good parts, so I had a brand new pully on hand. I also found a complete tensioner assembly in a sealed bag. It is used, but the bearing feels fine.
I used the new one. I guess the used one will go in the trunk for a dire emergency.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,579 Posts
Did you then turn up the radio?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I did for about a week!
One wierd thing-the belt has about 24K on it and looks fine. Installed, the tensioner is about 1/16" from full slack. Didn't think to look at the brand.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Serp tensioner bearing

How did you determine that the whine was coming from the serpentine belt tensioner? We have a very high pitched whine coming from our 164 (on the alternator/timing belt/serp belt side of the engine), and its being summer and our being busy busy busy with home repair and construction (and pretty much just driving the truck and station wagon because we're hauling supplies) we haven't followed guru Steve's advice about diagnostics. But now that winter's coming, I'm thinkin maybe we should take this seriously.

So - any background info re YOUR experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

VM

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
veronica

jack up the car, take the pass wheel off, and the wheel liners. With the car in neutral and supported well, start the engine. USe a long broom handle or screwdriver, etc, and put one end onto the pulley mounting screw (stationary , the pulley is spinning around it) and the other end to your ear. You will be able to detect which bearing/pulley is bad this way! A good bearing goes 'whirle whirle whirle" and a bad bearing can go 'snap-whirle -snap - clunk-whirle" and a really bad one will go "SQUEAL SQUEAL ' in your ear! Easy test that tells a lot about the condition of the bearings. Just be careful when doing this is all, dont allow your stick/screwdriver to fall into the spinning belt

If nothing other than WHIRL WHIRL is heard, then the serp belt must be removed, and each rotatiing part spun by hand to feel for smoothness. This includes the alternator, power steernig pump, aircon compressor, etc.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's pretty much how I did it, except I used a mechanic's stethoscope with a probe on the end instead of a broom handle or screwdriver-just because I have one.
I removed the strut assembly (3 bolts on top and 4 bolts on the bottom) first as it makes removing the rear fender liner much easier to remove and install when you're done.
Roll front fender liner out first, toward rear of the car, after removing all of the screws, etc. Then roll the rear liner out toward the front.
You now have access to everything, including the power steering pump which is/was covered by the rear fender liner.
CAREFULLY use whatever audio-enhancement device you choose and listen to each bearing. I first put my probe on the power steering pump housing, just above the drive pully. No problem, but I found that the little plastic belt cover was missing its attachment and rubbing on the PS belt. When I touched the probe to the serp. tensioning arm just below the idler, the noise was deafening! I checked all of the other accessories just to make sure.
If your tensioner bearing is the culprit, just remember not to overtighten the 2 bolts that attach the adjustment arm to the block when you put it all back together. They are screwing into the alloy block, and I've seem them stripped by morons. Also, don't over tension the serpentine belt as it's tough on the water pump etc. Start engine and rev up and down to make sure everything is cool.

Refit the rear liner (really easy with the strut out of the way) then the front. Refit the strut, top 3 bolts first. It's good to have an extra pair of hands to align the hub assembly when starting the bottom bolts for the strut.
Some folks leave the strut in place and wrangle the rear liner in and out. That's up to you.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Serp tensioner bearing

Thanks!
I've had the fender liners off numerous times - doing timing belt, rack and pinion, water pump, so that's not a problem. I think I have a mechanic's stethoscope - we'll see what happens.

Thanks again
VM

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,579 Posts
Thanks!
I've had the fender liners off numerous times - doing timing belt, rack and pinion, water pump, so that's not a problem. I think I have a mechanic's stethoscope - we'll see what happens.

Thanks again
VM
Also with fender liner out see if noise goes way as I am dealing with a grinding noise on a 164L right now as serpentine pulley is wearing away inside of a warped fender liner.

·
Registered
535 Posts
replacing serp belt tensioner idler bearing

Hi y'all
Finally figured out that it was the serpentine belt tensioner on the 1991 164 that was whining (my husband's professional assessment as he rolled the pulley around "sounds like a whiner to me").
ANYHOO - I got a new bearing from IAP but it sure looks too big to fit my tensioner.
1) how do I get the old bearing out (pressing from which direction)
2) were there different tensioners made from 1991-1993, so one size bearing don't fit all?
3) am I missing something? (besides the obvious brain cells for having gotten involved with cars in the first place).
As usual appreciate your help and Happy New Year to all!
VM

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,579 Posts
Hi y'all
Finally figured out that it was the serpentine belt tensioner on the 1991 164 that was whining (my husband's professional assessment as he rolled the pulley around "sounds like a whiner to me").
ANYHOO - I got a new bearing from IAP but it sure looks too big to fit my tensioner.
1) how do I get the old bearing out (pressing from which direction)
2) were there different tensioners made from 1991-1993, so one size bearing don't fit all?
3) am I missing something? (besides the obvious brain cells for having gotten involved with cars in the first place).
As usual appreciate your help and Happy New Year to all!
VM
What is IAP part number on your invoice? They list 027512 for 91-93 and 02778 for 94-95. They also have an error I think in that they say bearing only for 94-95 is same 91-93 number 027512 for 91-93 models so there is a disconnect.

Alfa part number for first picture item 5 serpentine pulley for 91-93 164 is 60513907. And 60561615 is part number for item 5 94-95 serpentine pulley. Ask them which Alfa part number pulley is that they sent you and what is the real IAP number.

All 91-93 take same 60513907 idler pulley with bearing already in it. All 94-95 take different 60561615 larger pulley with bearing already in it.

Now I guess the actual bearing inside the two different sixed idler pulleys are actually the same size as they both use the same 60505827 bushings for all years to mount the pulleys.

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
pulley bearing fun

Hi Steve
Thanks for the great picture and info. The part# listed on the invoice is correct per your information, but I see no way of getting the old bearing out without destroying the pulley, and the new bearing measures bigger than the apparent opening. I read another posting about replacing the bearing in the 24v idler pulley which didn't inspire confidence.

What I'd dearly love is just to acquire a new pulley, with bearing already in.

I will call IAP on Monday.

Thanks again.
VM

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,579 Posts
Hi Steve
Thanks for the great picture and info. The part# listed on the invoice is correct per your information, but I see no way of getting the old bearing out without destroying the pulley, and the new bearing measures bigger than the apparent opening. I read another posting about replacing the bearing in the 24v idler pulley which didn't inspire confidence.

What I'd dearly love is just to acquire a new pulley, with bearing already in.

I will call IAP on Monday.

Thanks again.
VM
Tell them you want the correct pulley and bearing assembly "Alfa part number for first picture item 5 serpentine pulley for 91-93 164 is 60513907." and that I said so!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
In my experience with IAP, their 164 knowledge is near nil. They really need to get somebody on the payroll that knows something about these cars. When I first got my 164 and I had little knowledge of them myself, they sold me a pilot bearing and an alignment tool. The alignment tool was not for a 164 and as most of you know, the 164 doesn't even have a pilot bushing. I'm still irritated about that one. :rolleyes: You should have received a complete bearing already installed in a pulley. Nor pressing necessary. Be also aware that IAP's serpentine bearing is aftermarket not OEM. Call up Difatta or Alfissimo and order up an OEM tensioner pulley. I don't like the quality of IAP's bearing, especially for what it costs.
Charles

·
Registered
535 Posts
replaced bearing, just in time!

Hi ChazzyD
Thanks for the info. I called IAP and they said "Yassuh, yassuh, we got wrong part, we send you, you send back, we hope correct part appear someday..." In the meantime, Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange is sending me a tensioner for $40.

That being said, the folks at IAP have been very nice to me, and sometimes have given me good advice. They have always been supportive and encouraging, which is nice when you're female and asking stupid questions.

I will put pursue a new pulley from Difatta or Alfissimo.

Thanks again!
VM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts