Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1977 Spider 2000. Need to replace upper oil pan, can this be done without removing the engine? What is the procedure/

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I've changed both parts of the pan, but...

I had the transmission out, the exhaust disconnected, the drive shaft off, both motor mounts loose, because you will need to lift the engine to get sufficient clearance to clear the cross brace under the oil pan.

I'm not sure you can lift the engine far enough with the trans in place? (I don't think so)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've done it with the engine in place on an '84 Spider, but it was not easy. I bought one of the engine support bars from Harbor Freight:

1000 Lb. Capacity Engine Support Bar

The biggest PITA is that you have to remove the motor mounts in order to remove/tighten a couple of oil pan bolts that are hidden under the mounts. I was replacing my mounts anyway, so it was a moot point for me. The second PITA is trying to replace the support bolt for the injection.

Expect to use your entire vocabulary of curse words and to get a lot of skinned knuckles.

Good luck!

David

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I have done it both ways.

As mentioned, with the engine in, its a big PITA! Lots of lying on your back, awkward angles.

I would pull the engine if I had to do it again.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
With a lift and pole jack. Doing it in the car is pretty easy. I did many this way when I worked on them back in the 80's. Put the pole jack under the trans and lift it up after the mounts are undone from the body. You will have to remove the oil pump to get the upper pan to slide out.

If all you have is jack stands then pull the engine.

One car a customer owned I put 3 sets of pans on. He taught all 3 of his sons how to drive in that car. After the first 2 he came in the shop and prepaid for oil pan replacements before teaching the third son.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
With a lift and pole jack. Doing it in the car is pretty easy. I did many this way when I worked on them back in the 80's. Put the pole jack under the trans and lift it up after the mounts are undone from the body. You will have to remove the oil pump to get the upper pan to slide out.
Well, I never tried it on a lift. Man I want a lift!

I was able to remove the upper oil pan without removing the oil pump.

IMG_8095.jpg

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Well, I never tried it on a lift. Man I want a lift!

I was able to remove the upper oil pan without removing the oil pump.

View attachment 754633

Good luck,

Vin
Thinking back on those days. Most of them got whacked pretty hard and broke the pumps. I even had one that the pan got hit so hard in the front it broke the pump and cracked the timing cover where the pump bolts up. A few even broke the lip off the timing cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts