Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard a job is it (assuming you have the transmission out of the car and the clutch assembly removed, which i have done before). Mine has started leaking quite a bit, and I need to decide whether to try to fix it this summer, or just keep adding gear oil until it gets too bad then part the car out. If it doesn't require major disassembly of the transmission I will probably just fix it, but I do not have time or money for a complete transmission rebuild, nor can i afford to sell the car whole if I decide not to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have replace input seal and seal from gear lever selector with the gearbox on the car.

The major job is dismatling everything to get to the seals. When is all done there is 5 minute job to remove seal with screwdriver and put new with fork and hammer (carefully). I belive there is factory tool forthat job, but I dont have it. Its more precise to put new seals with some kind of tube. Be carefull not to scratch aluminum on housing with screwdriver around the seal because it will maybe leak again. I have put Loctice bearing glue around the seal where is contact with gearbx housing to be secure.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Input shaft seal

The input shaft seal is under the throw out bearing tube. Remove the three 10mm bolts and the seal is right there. If it you had to split the case you can do that and leave the trans in the car. I've done this before on the Lemons car when we broke the shift shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts