Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another snag in my transmission rebuild......I was trying to drop the main shaft into the top half of the transmission case the other night, and missed the 5th/reverse shift fork, so I had to remove it and reinstall. Upon removal, I got the shaft a little crooked and managed to break off part of the lip in the transmission case that goes in front of the bearing between 1st gear and the reverse gear.

The actual support area that the bearing sits in is completely intact, but most of the little lip that goes in front of it is gone now, just a little on the bottom remains. I'm wondering if I could get by with this as-is.........is there much fore/aft pressure on the main transmission shaft? It doesn't appear as though there would be. The bottom half of the transmission case of course is fine, I would expect it to be strong enough to handle any back and forth stress that the main shaft might experience, but I don't know for sure.

I left a message with APE today to see what they would sell the top half of the case for, haven't heard back yet.....if it's cheap enough I will probably go ahead and just get it (although I REALLY hate to wait even LONGER to get this thing back together), but I have a feeling it's going to be pricey.

I just don't see how there's much stress on that shaft fore/aft, but I'm certainly not a transmission expert.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
I was under the impression that you could not mix up top and bottoms because they are line-bored as a unit...I may be wrong:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Matt:

I bet the two halves of the case are aligned bored so the bearings do not get in a bind.
I have a complete case if you would be interested. What would you give for it?

Bud Feigel
Lexington Ky.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bud, but I decided to go ahead and assemble it as-is....we shall see! After a little more study, and chatting a bit with the guys at APE, I have decided it will be just fine. Actually a little more than half of that top casing lip is still present. It does not appear that the transmission is designed to take a lot of fore/aft stress, most of the stress would seem to be outward (hence why broken trannies "explode" around the sides, as opposed to kicking parts directly backwards).

I feel more comfortable with the same tranny casing as I can be assured that the wear of parts that fit into the casing will match, and I won't have to worry about any alignment/spacing issues with the gears on the shafts in relation to the casing. In fact, APE quoted me a price for both halves that I was quite happy with (those guys rock), but for the aforementioned reason, I think I will ultimately be better off with the original casing.

Last night I prepped the rear section for assembly...cleaned off the old gasket sealer gunk, replaced the rear seal and the transmission mount. The core tranny itself is now together and sealed....THANKFULLY I referenced the board here again when I realized I had an extra "jelly bean" bearing....I only had two of those safety bearings installed in the shift rods, they need three! The tranny is shifting and operating normally now, to the extent that I can test it out of the car.

Matt
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top