Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '79 Sprint Veloce (Alfetta GT) and while looking around underneath the car yesterday, saw that my front flex coupling is cracked in several places; center and rear looked fine though. No driveline vibrations yet.

I've searched and searched through this forum and others and I THINK it is possible to replace just the front donut without removing the driveshaft, but I'm not sure.

Is it possible/relatively easy?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
When I had my 1980 Giulietta, I was able to get my engine out in 2 hours, by myself. And that was leaving the tailshaft in the car.
I would suggest that removing the engine is less of a nuisance than trying to remove the tailshaft in the earlier chassis cars, provided you have a means of lifting the engine.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NMMilano: I've read Greg's writeup several times, it appears to apply more to the GTV6 and Milano which don't have a removal crossmember for the center bearing (I think that's right), and have a splined coupling at the front yoke that Alfettas don't have. So it looks like the procedures are a bit different.

BTW I've had two other Alfettas (about twenty years ago though) plus, more recently, a GTV6 and a Milano (75) so not exactly a stranger to transaxle cars and their funky driveshafts and guibos. I did remove the driveshaft from my first Alfetta (also a '79) but many years ago as I mentioned, sent that one out somewhere to be balanced. On my GTV6 I did the home-balancing game using hose clamps as per the Pat Braden book (what a pain!).

Just looking for a temporary sleazy fix until I have the time to remove the whole shaft and do the job right. I've also got that rattle at startup and low idle which, from doing some research here on the BB, is probably a loose nut on the yoke at the back end of the shaft by the clutch -- which will also require driveshaft removal to fix.

I've ordered some aerospace-grade 3M two-part polyurethane which (if I can get access) I'll try to work into the cracks in the front giubo to help hold it together a little while longer. Nothing to lose by trying, and I can use the goop for other projects anyway :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts