Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have viewed some threads on this subject but still have a few specific questions that I hope can be addressed. The first relates the wheel size (360 vs. 390) and the second relates to deactivating the air bag light. I have seen comments that say that the 360 wheel is a great size but obscures a full view of the instrument panel. Given that the stock wheel size is 15 inches, the 390 mm wheel is only a third of an inch larger, and with my skinny knees I would not think it would pose a problem as far as clearance space is concerned. Any thoughts? As for the air bag light, can anyone tell me the best way to deactivate it as opposed to covering with a piece of black electrical tape (not an ideal solution from an aesthetic point of view). Given that there is no chrome or wood in the interior of my 91 spider I am leaning towards the Nardi Classic Leather - 390mm (15.35 inches) - Black Leather with Grey Stitching - Black Spokes model. Any other suggestions. Crowder's sells the hub adapter and Alfa horn button so that should do it. Also, I have read that its unlikely that the air bag would even deploy on a 91 model after 23 years. Anyone have any thought on that? This is my first post so thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hello!

Check out these 2 threads - they address all your questions:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/207418-gone-wind-bag.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/242930-nardi-s4.html

The airbag is deactivated by unplugging 3 orange plugs from the ECU, located under the parcel shelf.

You are right about the S4 interior not having chrome or wood - so if you add a wood and chrome wheel, you are kinda breaking away from the black plastic theme. But I've seen lots of photos of wood Nardi wheels on S4's and most look pretty darned good despite this. Personally I would do as you are thinking and go with black spokes/leather or with the type of wheel I went with, which has a very 90's vibe to it. If you do leather, you'll also have an option of keeping the stock shift knob or going with a leather one as opposed to wood.

Good luck with your styling and post pics!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi I have a wooden Nardi Classic wheel and chose deliberately for a 390 as in my opinion it gives the car a much more prestgious look than any other kind of wheel. But you just can't be a tall guy as it might give problems with leg room. Driving with a 390 is also much nicer. Give the feel of of Italian cars in the older days (Ferraris, Alfas, etc.), they all had large wheels. It's just my opinion.

There's also this thread on the same subject.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/207854-steering-wheel-size.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
390 vs 360

The only issue with the Nardi 390 is that the options are more limited. I like the Black Leather wheel with Black Spokes as it compliments the Spider's all black interior (no chrome), and that is only available in 360. If I could find a 390 wooden wheel with black spokes I would really like that. I'll keep looking, and again, thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
390 wheel

That is perfect. Earlier I spoke with Jimmy at Crowder's Customizing, and he did not think the black spoke model was available for the 390 wheel. I sent him the link. Who's better than you?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well, to be frank I chose the glossy spokes to freshen up the interior (thought it was quite dull in all that black). It now complements the chrome fittings on the body and gives it the car a more çlassic' look. But it's just a matter of opinions.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
a 390 black spoke wood rim Nardi wheel is not easy to find anymore at all, so even that ebay one is not way over the top, imo....you have to find one first! If you really want black 390, I'd make that ebayer an offer, but check he actually has it in stock first! (his listing is not too clear: we import from italy, need 3-4 weeks etc, etc!))

a 390 chrome nardi (which you can find easily) is about 320 bucks (234 euros to non euro buyers) from OKP in Germany, but plus shipping, don't forget.
OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH

I am pleased with my black 390 nardi.........sort of classic/modern, but fits the s4 interior well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a black interior in my spyder, and the Nardi wood with the black spokes really stands out..different strokes etc.....:shuriken:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nardi 390

Different strokes for different spokes I guess! I did discover that for some odd reason the 390 Wood/Black Spoke model is more money than the same model with silver or brushed chrome spokes. It is apparently due to a certification (KBA/ABE) by the Italian government for that model (and a few others). It increases the price by about $35. Weird but I agree that its worth it for the look in the S4.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Being contrary

Well I opted for a polished aluminium. I say this specifically because the Nardi is not chrome. Certainly chrome would cheapen the look. As far as the 360 vs the 390. I will vote strongly for 360 if you are shorter than 6 ft tall. If you are tall the 390 is your bet. Why 360. Because if you try and turn a 390 360 degrees with your lhand knee bent your hand will stop on your knee. With the 360 you can turn past your knee. If you go for the 390 polished in a Nardi S4 it looks very classic for a 90's car. The 360 IMHO is more suited to the younger car. Certainly the Nardi with padded spokes and the black Nardi are more contemporary but mostly only the alfabb folks will feel this way. Strangers always think the s4 is at least 70/80 not 90/92. Anyway it's matter of taste but I took advice of 2 very good s4 owners seriespider and BobHalfa and made 360 and 390 cutout wheels. Considering you will be stuck with the wheel this is a great idea. I have attached some inspiration 360 version

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
I guess that I'm in the minority...All sports cars should have wooden wheels...all mind did. My spyder has, as I have said, the Nardi wood, with black spokes...The horn button is the NARDI...It really stands out as the better of the two I could have picked...I know the logo, and it is on my shifter..so why not have the Nardi? :euro::clover:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. I just pulled the trigger on the Nardi 360 Classic Mahogany Wood with Black Spokes model, and will include the Nardi Black/White Alfa horn button insert. Of course I also ordered the appropriate hub adapter. Will post pics of my 91 Red Spider with Tan interior after the wheel is installed. You guys are the best!

·
Registered
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts