Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I don´t have the repeator lights on my car.
That´s because in it´s day as a daily driver my dad sealed the holes to prevent rust.
I´ve of course seen lots of pictures, but is there a print of some kind that has measurements?

Lots to do :D

Tia
Jan

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Often a blanked of hole in a wing or other body part can be found from behind.
If you look here The Alfa Romeo pages @ C a r s f r o m I t a l y it seems that the repeator was situated just below (5 cm) the profile and at the same hight of the front wheel arsh in front of it.
A repeator is a turning flashing light on the side of a car, repeating the front turning light's flash.
Erik

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I always thought that the side marker lights on Alfas don't blink with the turn signal, but just turn on with the headlights/taillights. When I removed mine, the wires were the same color as the taillight wires - yellow.

If they were indeed blanked out, you should be able to see the welding from the inside of the fender. No one would go through the trouble of making the inside look good. You may have to remove the flap in front of the wheel to see inside.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That is because that the US laws prescribes that you call side markers. Many European contries prescribes repeaters, or side turning signal flashers. Repeaters are connected to the front turningssignal lights hence the name.
Erik

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot guys :)
OK, it´s all inside the flap?
Yeah there should be marks on the inside of course :eek:
Great, I´ve missed having them and I know they are somewhere but just in case I bought new ones :D
Jan

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I´ve finally got going and fixing the repeator lights.
The wire was, as iachella said, yellow.
Is the wire a single core or is it two?
I´m no electrician but I suppose there is some kind of ground there?
It seems to have seen it´s day by now :D

/J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
The light assembly itself grounds directly to the body, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, but this is the reproduction repeator I got from Highwood.
Do I just cut the wire and connect it to the repeator? I thought it would ground to the connector, but as seen in the pic below it doesn´t look like it computes with the connector in my previous post.
/J

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
If it is a turn signal in place of the side marker, it still has to be a side marker. It appears to need both the side marker wire (yellow) and the turn signal wire (blue and blue/black).

I don't know if there are two bulbs in there, or one that will go dark with the turn signal pulse when running lights are on.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
In Europe we don't have to have side markers on neither old or new cars. So TNT can just change or fit a repeater indicator to his front wings.
Only buses and trucks needs side markers over here.
Erik

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
It looks like the reproduction repeater may require a separate ground wire (because of the plastic bulb holder). Can you remove the bulb holder from the repeater and post a picture? Also, how many electrical connections are on the bottom of the bulb; one or two?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I just saw a pic of the repeator on classic alfa, and that one only has one connection.
Weird.
Thanks papajam, I´ll check it out and post some pics.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems to use both connectors. But the yellow wire is a single wire or?
The connector attached to the yellow wire, what is it? Or has it erroded during the years of none use. The cable boots seem to indicate that ;)

/J

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Ask Chris from Highwood how to connect the wire. If your GT is a US version the light was a side marker, if its a Euro version its a indicator repeater from the front indicator. The bulb connect is for a metal less bulb all glass with two small metal leads. It probably gets earth via the light base and nut holding it to the front wing.
Erik

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, thanks I´ll do that.
He should know how to wire it.
Thanx everybody for all your input :)

/J

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've just checked Highwoodalfa's web site and it seems that both the early long repeater and the later round one have an earth lead, though the early long one only have the two connectors.
So you need an earth lead from one of the connectors plus the existing one (yellow) if its still is life.
Erik

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Well, since there is only one power wire feeding the bulb, with the original ground being through the housing, it does not matter if the light is a side marker or repeater. But with a plastic bulb holder, the 2nd bulb connector needs to be a ground. A short jumper wire from this connector to the light assembly mounting stud should do nicely.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts