Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 4.10 rear differential on eBay, product photo showed a good condition 4.10 rear differential. The seller packaged the differential using a single layer of cardboard and wrapped with packing tape. It appears he will not accept a return despite the obvious signs of serious damage from shipment. So what can this be used for beyond a paperweight? Called my mechanic, he suggested the bearings should be replaced because the damage shows they've been smacked around, and the differential pinion flange is warped and should be replaced. I could replace pinion bearings and housing bearings and have a usable unit provided I can source a replacement pinion flange. Provided the carrier housing is left bolted together, could I get away with replacing these bearings without re-shimming and get a usable differential?

Provided this is possible, I need a replacement pinion flange. Anyone have one they would consider selling? I can't find one anywhere online. Gosh I feel frustrated by this, he could have gotten away with a $25 bubble wrap surcharge to avoid destruction of this previously pristine piece of vintage auto.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Unfortunate, but this happens all the time . be it car parts or whatever....ebay or courier.
Worst with private purchases as some folks have no idea how to pack!!
I suppose that is why sometimes it bis etter to buy off a dealer- but i know with these cars it is not always a choice.
Recently purchaased 2 webers i a brake booster and a new old stock 67 step front grille!!
i was very upset when i opened to find less wrapping than what you had in your photo ( with none around the grille!). expecting the worst , luckily everything managed to survive unbusted.
Another was a diff that i purchased attached to a piece of wood held on with basically string!!!. 40kgs beat the string and the freight company repacked it without informing me and charged an extra 200 on the freight bill!!!..

Lesson i learnt, make sure the seller is clear about how you want it packed , dont buy if they dont want to put any effort in. Some of the old timers who are 80 not out selling gear to clean the shed,, really dont care!!
Paypal should give cover if purchased on ebay?, maybe?
Hope you get it sorted , cheers

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
Not to minimize the damage caused by the poor packaging, but I think you would have needed to re-shim the bearings anyways if you were planning to combine the new 4.10 differential & housing with your old axle tubes. The left axle tube (with the larger diameter flange) contains one of the bearing races that sets the side-to-side spacing for the pinion gear and diff. Combining different L axle tubes and housings necessitates re-shimming the L side bearing race.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@xitsurf Indeed I am quite broken up about this, I am a sucker for a theory behind things like this so I agree perhaps someone really wants to get stuff out of their garage and clean house may not care about shipping. However it is unfortunate now I'm delayed on my project as I need to see what the seller will do, if I am out any money, and locate a new differential from a different seller. Not easy to find these 4.10s.

@Alfajay thank you for the reminder I completely forgot about the shims. Now that I think about it yes regardless of condition of the new differential I would need to re-shim the bearings for the differential carrier assembly to set carrier-to-pinion backlash as the shim for this is in the left axle tube behind the top of the needle bearing (this is from interpretation of the manual as my axle tube is in the garage, I presume this is what is indicated by item 9 in fig 7:17 of the Giulia-Spider workshop manual despite being drawn as a roller ball race bearing).

Anyway thinking out loud what I would not need to do if this item were undamaged is re-shim the pinion. After replacement of pinion bearings I will need to check the pinion to crownwheel-center gap and re-shim if necessary, then check the pinion preload and re-shim if necessary. This is only required because replacement of the pinion bearings is required.

So we wait and see if the guy wants to furnish a properly packed differential, refund, do nothing.... who knows. I'm young enough to have enough online shopping experience to be generally confident with it, but not enough to have experienced something like this before.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
If your eBay seller won't make it right I hope you leave him appropriate feedback.

Ken

·
Richard Jemison
7,386 Posts
Not to minimize the damage caused by the poor packaging, but I think you would have needed to re-shim the bearings anyways if you were planning to combine the new 4.10 differential & housing with your old axle tubes. The left axle tube (with the larger diameter flange) contains one of the bearing races that sets the side-to-side spacing for the pinion gear and diff. Combining different L axle tubes and housings necessitates re-shimming the L side bearing race.

He`s totally correct, you would be re-shimming anyway. Hopefully the re-shiming will require thicker shims than in your left tube. R\ It`s easy to remove the bearing rave and plase adjusting shims behind the carrier bearing than to deal with the race & shims in the tube.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay guys, the seller is going to give me a new differential. Looks like the matter will be resolved. Question now is, supposing the unit has under 40k miles do I still need to replace the carrier bearings for install, or can I use the ones included and re-use the part of the needle roller bearing installed in the left axle half shaft? Current plan is to replace pinion seal for good measure and re-shim axle half shaft but leave bearings alone.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
Why not buy a complete rear axle assembly from the seller, so that you don't have to re-shim the bearing clearances? All you really need is a matched set of central housing, L axle tube, and of course, the differential & pinion. What else is that seller going to do with the L axle tube, if he just ships you the center section? Yes, you will pay a bit more in shipping, but you will save a bundle by not having to re-shim.

Those bearing last a long time assuming they have never been run dry or become contaminated. 40K miles is nothing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not buy a complete rear axle assembly from the seller, so that you don't have to re-shim the bearing clearances? All you really need is a matched set of central housing, L axle tube, and of course, the differential & pinion. What else is that seller going to do with the L axle tube, if he just ships you the center section? Yes, you will pay a bit more in shipping, but you will save a bundle by not having to re-shim.

Those bearing last a long time assuming they have never been run dry or become contaminated. 40K miles is nothing.
Brilliance! I had not considered that. Seller has many diffs up for sale, no full axles, but is pulling the replacement for me from a new donor. I inquired about the rear axle. We'll find out.

·
Super Moderator
10,612 Posts
I bought a 4.11 a few years ago to replace the 4.56 in my Sprint (which I had already converted to 2L rear axle assembly). I got everything except the disks and calipers. Admittedy I was picking it up locally, instead of shipping it, so weight was less of an issue. But having an assembly that was set up by the Alfa factory made the job a LOT simpler. I just swapped over the disks & calipers from my 4.56 and was ready to go (well, truth be told, I made it into a bigger job by powder coating the axle tubes).

But if you really want to minimize the weight that needs to be shipped, you only need to add the L axle tube to the center section. Assuming the brake components on your existing 4.56 are good, you can use your brakes, R axle tube and axles with the 4.10.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, unfortunately I managed to break the trailing arm mount point on the right axle tube. Was going to have a machine shop straighten the mount point and weld around the factory pinch welds, but I think I'll stick it in my spare parts collection and get a good quality replacement instead. I almost fell into powder coating, instead I will paint with rusty metal primer and enamel paint before I make this more complicated. This all started as replacing a wheel bearing after all, and turned into a rear suspension rebuild and diff swap. Anyway I will sand blast first if the axles are in bad shape. Mine would have needed it, too much road grime to remove with power washer. Replacements from this eBay seller may not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been scammed. The seller received the return and claimed it was not the item he sent. He opened a case with eBay. Guy keeps messaging me now with nonsense. Something about secret markings and Ferrari gas tanks.... I really don't know what to make of this. He also said he has the replacement diff listed for me. It's double the original sale price.... ha... good thing I have already learned my lesson about how he does business. I won't mention who this is, but he gets a lot of negative feedback around here. Good lesson learned, search the forum for an eBay seller's name before buying from them.

·
Administrator
12,572 Posts
Why the diff swap just for replacing a wheel bearing?

Cleaning up the existing rear axle, redoing bushes and wheel bearings is at most a days work.
Pete

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 4.56 and want a 4.10. I do a lot of highway touring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts