Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 gtv-6 3.0, low mileage, that I haven't driven for 10 years. Any suggestions on a repair shop in North Jersey to get it into shape? I'm in Hudson County.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
You might want to get in contact with BB member

Zunige

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also live in Hudson County, and I use Col-Gen motors in Newark. I have a '74 Spider and they rebuilt my engine last year. The car purrs now. I'm pretty happy with them - they're good people and they live and breathe Alfas.

Col-Gen: http://www.colgenmotors.com/
840 N 6th St
Newark, NJ – 07107
Tel: (973) 481-1143

The other places that I've heard about:
Bobcor in Maywood 201-587-9000
Eurotec in Livingston 973-992-2800
Sal Malanga in Boonton 973-335-5373

I didn't check any of the others out because I instantly felt comfortable with Col-Gen when I met Michael.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Paraag

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Paraag, I've called Colgen and will be having them evaluate the car for me. They sound like a pretty good outfit.

Mike

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I also live in Hudson County, and I use Col-Gen motors in Newark. I have a '74 Spider and they rebuilt my engine last year. The car purrs now. I'm pretty happy with them - they're good people and they live and breathe Alfas.

Col-Gen: http://www.colgenmotors.com/
840 N 6th St
Newark, NJ – 07107
Tel: (973) 481-1143

The other places that I've heard about:
Bobcor in Maywood 201-587-9000
Eurotec in Livingston 973-992-2800
Sal Malanga in Boonton 973-335-5373

I didn't check any of the others out because I instantly felt comfortable with Col-Gen when I met Michael.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Paraag
Col-Gen is unique in that the owner Angelo started working for Alfa in the 60's in Italy. Angelo and a partner started Col-Gen when he came to the U.S.A. His sons grew up in the shop. Michael has become an excellent mechanic in his own right, and is obsessively meticulous. They are also 110% honest. I can't say enough good things about Col-Gen, and I have been taking all my cars (non-Alfas included) to them for seventeen years.

The NJ shops are well known, but Col-Gen has never (and still doesn't) advertise. Bobcor does not have any Alfa mechanics any more. They are an authorized Alfa rep, so they do sell parts at full list price. Eurotec has been around for a while, and Sal advertises everywhere. I would most certainly make sure that a shop has satisfied customers before giving them any work. If it is hard to find even a handful of satisfied customers, that should say a lot about them.

All this said, restorations are very different from maintenance and mechanical work. Angelo and Michael do not restore vehicles. (Michael will fix anything cosmetic, but not body work.) The restorations are done by Angelo's oldest son, Tommy. Yes, of course they collaborate, and everything is done under one roof, but the restorations are done by Tommy. You can go to Col-Gen and they will know exactly what it will cost to do mechanical work. Not so with restorations, and that's not anyone's fault. You must be financially prepared to face many unforseen issues, when a car is taken apart, the body re-done and everything put back together again.

Best regards,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Paraag, I am restoreing a alfa guilia spyder voloce 101 1965. I have a normarle 1600 engine that is seized that I hope to use. I am trying to keep my cost way down on this car..what do you think col gen would charge to get me up and running..I am in New Jersey or maybe you might know of someone who would like tackle this one..I am not building this car for show I want to use it and take it to some vintage events...thanks John

·
Registered
333 Posts
I used to go to Eurotech when I lived in Jersey. Two brothers own the place, Mario and Paul. They were very good and I never had a problem with them. I acctually bought my first car from them and had them rebuild it for me. They also do race car prep if you are interested.

Paraag- did you go to Tulane by any chance?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I used to go to Eurotech when I lived in Jersey. Two brothers own the place, Mario and Paul. ...
This info is outdated, although Eurotech is still very actively servicing Alfas...

Best regards,

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... First, while working on my car on a lift, I noticed Angelo using a can of silver paint under my car spraying over areas indiscriminately. I have no idea why he felt he had to do this. ... but after the paint can experience, I couldn't go back there.
I'm sorry to read this... I don't speak for Col-Gen, but I have known them for many years, and have seen Angelo do this many times. The first time he did it to one of my cars, I asked about it. Angelo explained that he was using exhaust paint on the exhaust. He told me, in his heavy accent, that he likes to keep things "fresh". It's not an indiscriminate approach, nor does the undercarriage look like it has overspray anywhere - at least not on my cars. (It does smell awful though, but the smell goes away quickly. It was the smell that prompted me to ask.)

In conversations I have had with both Angelo and Michael, they have explained that clients typically don't like to pay for servicing the undercarriage, so they use this to keep the exhaust from rusting out. It isn't done on every component, just the OEM silver colored pieces. (If you have a black ANSA exhaust, they aren't going to spray it silver.) When I heard this explanation, I asked what they would recommend, and Michael explained that they recommend a full clean-up of the undercarriage, to ensure that there is no rust, or address rust if it is found and then a flexible coating of some pieces or the re-painting of others. It's not cheap to do, as it entails several hours of work, but I have had it done on my favorite Alfas. It's good because then all it takes is a service once a year, to keep it looking immaculate. Here are some pictures, taken while the car was on the Col-Gen lift, and yes, I do keep it that clean, even though this particular Spider sees about 8k mi. per year. In fact, she's going in for the annual undercarriage treatment that precedes my traditional December, last trip-of-the-year from NJ to OH, for winter hibernation. (Some of my other cars just get the quick job that "marksgtv" mentioned, and while they don't look immaculate from underneath, Col-Gen has sure kept them in good shape.)

Pentax 548.jpg

Pentax 536.jpg

Pentax 542.jpg

Best regards,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys I'm located in New Jersey as well, I felt I should add my two cents about Col-gen. In my opinion the father Angelo knows about about Alfa's very well, yet the sons ESPECIALLY Micheal I find to be very untrustworthy! Aside from delayed dates of completion, quoted prices dramatically changing UPWARDS, in the end I felt ripped off after they did a complete drive tran swap to my Alfa! O yeah, Micheal told me that it was ok to leave my old motor & tranaxle at the shop until i was able to retrieve them...little did i know he would "get rid" of them without contacting me....That was the last straw. I will NEVER deal with that shop again!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have known and loved padrone Angelo since meeting him as a new employee of Alfa Romeo, Inc in Englewood Cliffs in early 1975 where he worked exclusive on Alfa Romeo vehicles for the importer and his work ethic and personality hasn't changed a bit: Super knowledgeable, always intensively focused and dedicated on providing a professional outcome to whatever he is doing, disdainful of mediority, friendly, approachable and truly representive of the Best of the Italian people and their skills in the motoring sector. Do not depend upon anyone else to handle your Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati or other European automobile. There is no finer shop on the East Coast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys I'm located in New Jersey as well, I felt I should add my two cents about Col-gen. In my opinion the father Angelo knows about about Alfa's very well, yet the sons ESPECIALLY Micheal I find to be very untrustworthy! Aside from delayed dates of completion, quoted prices dramatically changing UPWARDS, in the end I felt ripped off after they did a complete drive tran swap to my Alfa! O yeah, Micheal told me that it was ok to leave my old motor & tranaxle at the shop until i was able to retrieve them...little did i know he would "get rid" of them without contacting me....That was the last straw. I will NEVER deal with that shop again!
David,

I am an owner of a 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider that Col-Gen Motors Incorporated EXCLUSIVELY works on MECHANICALLY & COSMETICALY. I have been servicing with Col-Gen Motors for approximately 6 YEARS now. I had the pleasure to have met Angelo and expand my Alfa knowledge due to his wealth of experience & knowledge.

Pertaining to Michael. Michael is, as you will see in many other posts, a STRAIGHT SHOOTER. I find Michael to be a very well-mannered & TRUSTWORTHY individual. Whenever I bring my car in for servicing I often speak to Michael. He would show me what the problem is and where it was located. He would always give me the BEST CASE SCENARIO & WORST CASE SCENARIO to prepare me FINANCIALLY. As UNEXPECTED issues arise OBVIOUSLY the date of completion will change. An Alfa HOBBY is OBVIOUSLY not a CHEAP HOBBY. Patience is a VIRTUE and you come to understand that more in this HOBBY. It's very hard to believe that Michael would "get rid" of your parts without contacting you. I still have parts at the shop that Michael contacts me about picking up. I am going to have to DISAGREE with your post in its ENTIRETY.

Pertaining to Tommy. I had the pleasure of having my entire Alfa restored cosmetically by Tom. He provided me with an IMPECCABLE job. Obviously, as an owner of a wonderful car you get anxious for the completion and we came across a few delays due to UNEXPECTED discrepancies arising. Tom likes to do things right the first time and when he found any discrepancy that would require my attention he would contact me IMMEDIATELY. Obviously, he would contact me and not proceed with any work until I made a final decision on the issue. What I love most about Tom is that he asked for me to be involved in the restoration because ULTIMATELY I need to be satisfied. During the process Tom called me plenty of times to come over on a Saturday to have a WONDERFUL ITALIAN lunch while reviewing my car. After the completion of my Alfa I had Tom spray my daily driver which AGAIN came out RIGHT ON!

To this day I enjoy servicing with Col-Gen Motors. As all of the major issues on my Alfa have been corrected by Col-Gen Motors I have not had any serious issues. I bring my Alfa to Col-Gen twice a year now and that's because it is well maintained. My Alfa makes its way to Col-Gen in the winter to be winterized & in the spring to get ready for the driving season. We are all entitled to our own opinions but as humans lets only let our opinions be based upon FACTS. GOOD DAY EVERYONE!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
David,

I am an owner of a 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider that Col-Gen Motors Incorporated EXCLUSIVELY works on MECHANICALLY & COSMETICALY. I have been servicing with Col-Gen Motors for approximately 6 YEARS now. I had the pleasure to have met Angelo and expand my Alfa knowledge due to his wealth of experience & knowledge.

Pertaining to Michael. Michael is, as you will see in many other posts, a STRAIGHT SHOOTER. I find Michael to be a very well-mannered & TRUSTWORTHY individual. Whenever I bring my car in for servicing I often speak to Michael. He would show me what the problem is and where it was located. He would always give me the BEST CASE SCENARIO & WORST CASE SCENARIO to prepare me FINANCIALLY. As UNEXPECTED issues arise OBVIOUSLY the date of completion will change. An Alfa HOBBY is OBVIOUSLY not a CHEAP HOBBY. Patience is a VIRTUE and you come to understand that more in this HOBBY. It's very hard to believe that Michael would "get rid" of your parts without contacting you. I still have parts at the shop that Michael contacts me about picking up. I am going to have to DISAGREE with your post in its ENTIRETY.

Pertaining to Tommy. I had the pleasure of having my entire Alfa restored cosmetically by Tom. He provided me with an IMPECCABLE job. Obviously, as an owner of a wonderful car you get anxious for the completion and we came across a few delays due to UNEXPECTED discrepancies arising. Tom likes to do things right the first time and when he found any discrepancy that would require my attention he would contact me IMMEDIATELY. Obviously, he would contact me and not proceed with any work until I made a final decision on the issue. What I love most about Tom is that he asked for me to be involved in the restoration because ULTIMATELY I need to be satisfied. During the process Tom called me plenty of times to come over on a Saturday to have a WONDERFUL ITALIAN lunch while reviewing my car. After the completion of my Alfa I had Tom spray my daily driver which AGAIN came out RIGHT ON!

To this day I enjoy servicing with Col-Gen Motors. As all of the major issues on my Alfa have been corrected by Col-Gen Motors I have not had any serious issues. I bring my Alfa to Col-Gen twice a year now and that's because it is well maintained. My Alfa makes its way to Col-Gen in the winter to be winterized & in the spring to get ready for the driving season. We are all entitled to our own opinions but as humans lets only let our opinions be based upon FACTS. GOOD DAY EVERYONE!
glad you had a great experience with col-gen motors.

i had a terrible experience with them on the restoration of my car.

it would be too long to write up but it wasn't pleasant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mechanic in North Jersey

Hi , I see that these post date from 2007, is there any forum to look at , i am trying to find an honest mechanic for my 1985 Spider in north jersey - please advise

1 - 15 of 15 Posts