Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Repair service for flashing ARCs

719 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Johnalfa
I am able to repair the flashing light symptoms on the ARC computers. I am offering as a service. Please PM me if you need yours repaired.

Be forewarned, you might realize that some of those flashing lights were accurate, occasionally!
Reactions: 2
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This service is still available.
The bigger source of flashing isn't actually neither the ARC panel in the middle of the dashbord nor the computer above the glovebox. The connectors (when sensors are ok) are the source of the flashing. Downloading from craig's place group 40 manual to locate the wire colour and the pin locations on the connectors, a contact cleaner and a small screw driver to bend uncertain contact pins has done wonders on my 2 Alfa 75 fully working ARCs🙂🙃😜
I believe you are incorrect in your assumption that flashing is due to the loose connections.

While that may have been your case, this repair replaces the faulty voltage regulator on the display board, which is what tends to cause the flashing lights for most cars.

So, when your arc panel goes haywire and you have no more contacts to push around, I’ll be here for you with the real fix.
Of course the 5V voltage regulator may fail. I actually replaced one on my 1987 car. However what fixed the "burnt parking lamp" flash was cleaning the contacts on the connectors panel located under the glove box, fuse box and, since I was there, on the indicators stalk behind the steering wheel. On my black 1989 car, there is still the original voltage regulator. Burnt stop bulb light would flash whenever I pushed the brake pedal. What fixed it? A screwdriver that tightened the contact to the ARC computer for the blue-red wire.
Voltage regulator needs replacing when you start to see erratic flashing on more indications. When the very same light flashes always, it is not the voltage regulator
We cured the multiple light flashing syndrome when we replaced the voltage regulator in our 89 Milano. That's all it took. I'm talking about the 'random' flashing, which is really obvious when it happens. One specific light consistently flashing or on is quite different, and not the voltage problem. Lol, when the oil level warning light in the ARC stayed on, and I couldn't put it out by the resister in the line from the probe method as I did with the 91S, I just put a very tiny piece of black electrical tape over the light to eliminate it easily, and you cannot even tell it was done.

Sure, one can have a problem with dirty connections, as we do find in Alfas, and it is an easy fix, but the real multiple light random flashing problem, for which he offers his assistance and which seems to pop up in most Milanos, is in my mind that darn insufficient voltage level.

No biggie.
Partially agree. If you consider problems like brake light not working with ARC flashing it is not very difficult and it just takes to remove the computer and check contacts. At the end of the day, it would take a bit less than removing the ashtray, unscrewing the ARC panel, de-solder the old voltage regulator and separate it from the heat sink and do the contrary replacing the voltage regulator. When considering the parking lights flashing, because a voltage measure is involved and a lot of culprits might be there, starting from the bulbs themselves, going to the grounds etc. There are a lot of connections and if you want a permanent fix, you will have to check them all unfortunately... I know of many people having learnt to live with it or having put a black tape to stop seeing the light. In my case, the fix involved fuse box removal, steering column cowl removal, rear seat removal to check the rear lights grounds and the removal of the dashboard part which would allow acces to connectors G94c and d plus G73a and b.
Not very easy job😉
See less See more
The connectors can cause faults to light up, but the voltage regulator upgrade is the fix for random flashing when cold or when you have multiple faults. I posted the details many years ago:

At the time someone asked me if I was willing to do this as a service and I was like "hell no!" :LOL: I put the info out there so people could either fix it themselves or find someone to do the work for them (like brokeandexpensive does).

You can clean connectors all day but that won't fix the root cause.
If you have a non working voltage regulator, and even with clean connectors, it will start flashing, this is true;) (this happened in my case when more lights were on, for instance one or more open doors and the hanbrake lever up)

You can have a brand new voltage regulator, or even fully new ARC panel and even exchange them with one of a friend: if a connector is loose, dirty or anything else, the exact same flashing light will continue to flash🙂🙃 with every voltage regulator or ARC panel you will put.
So, in this thread, we've learned that there are multiple causes for blinky lights.
If the blinky lights seem sporadic, then this repair is what you should consider as the proper fix.
Reactions: 1
Yes, this would be the first thing I'd check. Multiple erratic flashings relate probably to the voltage regulator.

Persistent flashing of a light is not the voltage regulator: can be a real problem OR a bad connector.
With the aging, the resistivity of the connectors increases for many reasons...
I recently had the air conditioning installed in my car.
I provided group 40 and group 80 to the professional who performed the job. Since this was a "full dashboard removal" job I recommended one thing: whatever connector looked unreliable needed to be replaced (and they did a couple of replacements). So far, so good...
yes, zar, we get it...thank you
  • Haha
Couple years ago I bought a low mileage Milano with intermittent and alternating ARC lights. I asked here on the forum if anyone could help me, and a member graciously offered to replace the transformer for me. Voila! No more flashing lights. I've since sold the car; hopefully it's still behaving.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts