Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am about to tackle the task of replacing the water pump on my 91 164b i figured while i was at it i would do the timing belt as well. Now the problem i have is i am afraid to screw it up. I have worked on every other car i have ever owned/rebuilt simple chevy motors but this is a different breed. Are there any repair manuals out there? i searched and really came up empty handed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.:eek:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Cardisc has manuals on CD, and you should also do a search to locate existing threads on these subjects.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow so i read and printed out your instructions for the timing belt and water pump. Man what a lot of work. Does anyone know how much a shop would charge to do it? Also the clutch? Might just be willing to pay so i know it is done right.

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
wow so i read and printed out your instructions for the timing belt and water pump. Man what a lot of work. Does anyone know how much a shop would charge to do it? Also the clutch? Might just be willing to pay so i know it is done right.
Just paying to have it done does not mean it will be done right. You have to find a qualified mech to do it first.

Doing clutch also means a possible transmission repair if input shaft bearing is still a failure prone ball bearing.

Each job can easily cost about $1000 each if done right with new parts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fantastic.. I origionally bought this car as parts for my 92 but hate to part it out so trying to weigh my options. There is an alfa shop here Auto Delta left him a message will see what he will charge just hate to part it out with such little problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i called a local alfa shop and got a quoate for the water pump/timing belt/and clutch and of course all the stuff that goes along with a service like these. I was quoated $2640.00. This seemed to be a fair price to me but i figured i would throw it out here and see what you guys think..

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
IMHO it maybe a fair price BUT the disclaimer I would make is the possiblility that tranny has old style ball bearing instead of roller bearing on input shaft and should also be replaced. I doubt that is included in the quote but if not then if you need that upgrade done, too. And if they don't do it and within a very short while after having other work done tranny bearing fails you are in for a second big bill to go back in to repull tranny and repair it.

Tranny has to be disassembled to do the bearing upgrade.

I also recommend rebuilding the starter while tranny is out to do clutch. That is a $97 charge at electrical shop I use here to get starter rebuilt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that is something i will definettly ask cause this is enough to spend at once right now. As for the starter will have that done as well i replaced the one on my 92 took me about 5 hours of cussing so yes someone else can do it. Thanks for the advise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts