Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I'm in a pinch. Moving out-of-state this weekend, and I have to get my baby on a flat bed. To do that, I've got to get her running. (It's been 18 months since she ran. I know; it's humiliating. My wife and I are having our second, and the 2 year old keeps me out of the garage and in the (yikes) SUV.)

Here's how the day went: Fuel light won't turn off. No hum coming from the back. Immediately knew the fuel pump had seized. I yanked it out, and it metered nothing. Dead as a doornail. Then I kicked it with the back of my flashlight, and it woke up, started humming again. Beautiful. Re-installed it. Fuel light still lit-up. Fuel pump motor humming, but NO GAS to SPICA. So, I yanked it again, and changed the rear fuel filter just to be safe. Then I bench tested the pump, and tried to run gasoline through it. It's still humming along, but it isn't pulling any fuel. In fact, it's bubbling out the intake line.

I managed to wrestle it apart. I don't know the brand; looks like a repainted rebuild. Motor looks fine enough. Brushes are still about 75% there. Some corrosion on the motor spindle, but still ... the motor's WORKING. It's just doesn't have any suction. I've searched the posts and can't find a blow-up on how the pump actually pumps (it doesn't have a turbine like some new ones and like you see in a jet engine). Opened up, it has a small five-sided cylinder inside a hole the size of a quarter. The small five-sided piece turns with the motor. Each side of this piece has a cut out for a short peg (5 pegs). Looks like the pegs are thrown to the outside centrifugally when the five-sided piece is turned by the motor. I cannot figure out how this thing creates a vacuum. Anyone have an idea on troubleshooting this bad boy? Motor turns fine but it doesn't pump??? I'm sure that's supposed to be impossible.

My many, many thanks from an alfista in a bad way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, Plan B. The pump is dead. IAP and Centerline are selling Bosch fuel pumps but they don't give the Bosch part number. I can't wait until Monday when IAP and Centerline open (need the car running by Monday am). Can someone give me the Bosch Fuel Pump part number. What is the psi rating (in psi or "bars")? What is the flow? I'm going to try to track one down at Napa or Kragen this weekend (and the Kragen guy had no idea), could not pair the part without a part no.

I've searched for this, and while Roadtrip and others have posted some thoughtful advice, I can't find these essential data anywhere. Bosch makes 7 "universal" pumps. I just need to know which one to install.

Thanks if you can manage a quick reply with part no.

·
Registered
what part?
9,971 Posts
jazz.. a volvo or bmw fuel pump will work, just look under a 240 volvo, or mid 80's bmw. volvo,, they are there..1 port in -1 port out.. hope this helps

·
Registered
what part?
9,971 Posts
or if you want i am taking my pump off my car, works great.. i am using a in-tank honda cvicc pump.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate that offer Bianchi, but I gotta get this puppy running by tomorrow or Sunday, and unless you're in San Francisco.... There are a bunch of different Bosch pumps, so, I'm just looking for either (a) the Bosch part number of the pump that works; or (b) the psi rating, flow and any other specs that will allow me to identify the right Bosch pump it at Napa or Kragen.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Do you have the wires reversed?

Some people have used, as a readily available substitute, an Airtex Master (model # E2000) pump from a Ford Truck V-8 with good success. Sorry, I don't know the exact model year truck.

Autozone shows a Master fuel pump for a later model EFI Alfa. A bit pricey at $234. As far as a Bosch pump goes, the suitable substitute for your SPICA injected Alfa is also the external pump for an EFI injected Alfa 82 onwards.

·
Registered
what part?
9,971 Posts
honda cvicc.. you know those little cars?..jazz, i live in sacramento

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have the ultimate solution to your problem.
Remove the fuel pump from the SUV & you & your son fit it to the alfa. Bet he thoroughly enjoys the whole event.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roadtrip, when the intake line started bubbling, I was sure the wires were crossed; they weren't. Crash, he's just a little guy, 2 years old, but he'll have a wrench in his hand by 5. Maybe the Alfa will be cherried by the time he can drive it.

Time got too tight with the movers coming Monday am, so I just drained the tank, yanked the pump, capped all the hoses and will winch it onto a flatbed. ...Live to fight another day.

Thank you for all the input.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hi
When you get time, simply fit the Busch pump from a GTV6, Milano or Bosch injected Spider. The pressure is fine. By the way, the Busch rotary pump doesn't make vacuum. It is called a positive displacement pump. It gets fuel from the tank by gravity, or in the case of the Spiders, from the in tank "lift pump". The rollers in the cavity circulate on an ecentric
and push the fuel forward to the engine.
KG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts