Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a deal with a buddy of mine: If he rebuilt the 105/115 transmissions I had he could keep the ones I'm not using. Worked out great for me and since he is selling his for cheap, it could work out for you too.

These are 5 speeds taken from '69 through '76 period Alfas. All were in decent shape to begin with but had the typical 2nd gear grind. Each transmission was completely dissasembled, cleaned and inspected. First and second got new syncros and the best dog gears (typically removed from 5th gear) and the gears lightened. There is a lot of talk about gear lightening - these were done to the specs found elsewhere on the forum and the point is to decrease the rotational mass, which puts less strain on the syncros and thereby extends their life.

Good used syncros and dogs (nothing less than a #2 condition) were used on the rest of the gears.

If you've never driven an Alfa with a properly working transmission, it is a treat. The problem is, after you've driven one, you don't want to go back.

The price is $1,100 plus shipping (from the Detroit area) and a $300 core deposit. Price does not include the bellhousing or gear oil (recommend Redline). I believe that compares to over $2,300 for a fully remanned unit elsewhere.

He's got a couple ready to go and a couple on deck. Not sure if he'll hold the price for the next round (assuming he does more).

PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I pit one of rich's tranny's in my step nose and can vouche for the build. I went from a leaky, crunchy 5 SPd w/o reverse to a car that drives andshifts like new. Only problem is now my wife wants to drive it!

·
Premium Member
14,957 Posts
I too believe that it is worth getting a gearbox rebuilt by an expert. RJ did mine and it is head and shoulders above any other Alfa box that I have driven.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts