Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

In the process of checking the whole body for rust I thought I would remove the Zender side skirts and have a look see. The skirts have been on for years and aside from removing obvious self- tapping pan head screws are there any tricks to removing them without damaging the paint work ? They seem to have been held on by a glue. Are there any clips to release or is there a particular technique to removal ?

Or in anyone's experience is it necessary to remove them to clear any build up of dirt and residue ?

cheers Phil

·
Registered
755 Posts
Probably cant hurt to remove and clean behind them, occasionally there can be some rust.

Underneath the skirts there will be a series of clips with an X head on them, find a decent tool (usually some largish pliers) and rotate them 90 degrees and they should drop out. At the end of each skirt there should be a screw - undo (may need the rear wheels off / turn the fronts) then each side has two parts, simply slide each end towards the nearest wheel. Behind you will see a series of clips in the sill panel, and these rotate 90 degrees to remove also. Some clips may break as they can be brittle, so go easy.

When installing, make sure when you slide the skirts back on you get them fully on all the sill clips, or else it looks naff agaist the bottom of the doors and bows out looking awful.

Cheers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Read the opening post better before replying please.

Zender skirts are not held on by clips with an X on top, only the standard skirts are. Zender skirts are like the topic starter says glued to the car. Using some heat from for instance a hair dryer could help but there are good changes you'll damage the paint when taking the skirts off ( depends on the type of glue which was used of course).

·
Registered
755 Posts
Read the opening post better before replying please.

Zender skirts are not held on by clips with an X on top, only the standard skirts are. Zender skirts are like the topic starter says glued to the car. Using some heat from for instance a hair dryer could help but there are good changes you'll damage the paint when taking the skirts off ( depends on the type of glue which was used of course).

Must be that time of the month for some...Goodonya mate! Your awesome, wish I could be like you!! YEAH!!

My bad tarakai, Goodluck getting them off...old double sided tape can be a real pain on old paint.

Best of luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks to you both for the replies. I managed to gently pry open from the top just enough to see inside that there was only a tiny bit of grit and that the glue had been doing its job over the years preventing a build up eventuating. I have now used translucent silicon on the top edge to form a complete seal/

On to more exciting things today like taking off the TD05 16g turbo and putting on a TD04L for awesome midrange. I'll start a thread on the build once I am back from top end tuning in the next few days.

cheers Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts