Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stalled on removing my trunnion bar - I've removed the bolts that hold the trunnion to body big bushings, but I am having trouble removing the cone bushing.

The bolt holding the cone bushings to the differential came off easily, but under the bolt there is a metal cone that needs to be removed to access the rubber bushing.

The metal cone is either a washer or a nut but I can't tell if it's threaded onto the bolt or should simply slide off. There are two flat spots on the sides of the cone but I can't get a wrench or pliers to grip well enough to turn the metal cone and it doesn't seem to want to slide off easily.

I can't get an ideal view since my rear axle is in place with the drive shaft attached. I've removed the swing arms and the springs, and the axle is sitting on jack stands with the
rebound straps acting as a fallback (fall down?) safety measure.

I'd prefer not to drop the rear axle all the way to the ground if I can avoid is since I'm mostly working alone and it's going to be pretty heavy and hard to put back into position. I'll do it if that's the only route, of course.

So: washer that I can remove with a gear puller?
Or threaded nut? If so, what's the best tool to get a grip on it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,796 Posts
It should just slide off. Can you pry it with a big screwdriver? Maybe soak it with PB blaster for 12 hours first.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it!

Thank you Alfaparticle. Got it off!

I just wasn't sure if it was threaded or not since the Cardisc shows it in diagram but doesn't specify threading or not. I didn't want to be reefing on it and chewing up the threads on that bolt if it might be threaded. It was really really stuck. Even with PB blaster it never did come loose enough to pry off with a driver or a pry bar.

After being sure it wasn't threaded on there, I used a gear puller to pull the entire trunnion bar off the diff bolt and brought the washer along for the ride instead of pulling the washer first and coming back for the bar. It was easy to do that way, and I recommend this method for removing the bar without completely removing the diff.

It turns out to have been worth the trouble since, although the big body to trunnion bushings are OK, the cone bushings were pretty shot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've just struck the same problem - trunnion cone washer won't budge. Haven't got a puller, so anyone know of any other tricks I could try to move the little blighter? Heat? A big balljoint-puller? Pry-bar?
Thanks all,
Graham in NZ (1750 GTV)

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Graham - There's a second conversation going on about this same subject. You've probably already seen the thread, but just in case, here it is:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sus...on-bushes-dif-without-removing-trunion-2.html

One alternate solution mentioned there seems to be heat. Cutting it off as one guy did seems a bit unncesssary - mine seemed -permanently- affixed but it did come loose with enough persuasion.

I would think that you could use a either a big ball joint puller or a pry bar; there's no threading on the washer so once it breaks loose it's easy from there.

Good Luck!

Lokki

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks Lokki - as you might have seen, I've already gone and cut it off. It was so tight, I couldn't even drive the wedge of the ball joint puller into the gap to try that tool. It just wouldn't budge.
Fun fun fun !
Best regards,
Graham (GTV)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same problem - Seemed to be a very tight fit - not quite tolerance but close. I used a large crescent wrench (with foot action) on the flats in conjunction with CRC to start the rotation, I just kept rotating / crc'ing until it finally moved laterally and eventually is came off.

'Polish' (I mean sand with emerycloth) the shaft before refitting to reduce the diameter slightly and use antiseize

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks matey. Well, mine wouldn't budge one iota, either with soaking, or wedging, or a one-foot pipe-wrench heaving on the flats. Anyway it's cut off now so it won't cause me any more trouble! It resisted right up to the very end - it was really well stuck on.
However now I've struck a new issue, when installing the new poly trunnion cone bushes... this is being discussed at -
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sus...es-dif-without-removing-trunion-new-post.html

Thanks all
Graham, 1750 GTV.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh, I've just looked at that thread above and I see you're already there and on the case! Thanks chief - I'll reply on that thread when I've had a go with that suggestion.
Best regards,
Graham, 1750 GTV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts