Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing transmission from 1978 Spider. There are several bolts which I have taken off. But there are these bolts with nuts only and no heads. One I got the nut off but not sure if threaded rod also needs to be taken off? The other one has a nut on it and will not come off. As I continue to turn the nut it seems like it is now turning the threaded rod out! Need help understanding and direction to complete the removal.

I am assuming when all nuts are off it will drop straight down? I have a transmission floor jack to assist once I get all the nuts ready to come off.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
couple things. There are ?6? (maybe its 4?) threaded studs that are pretty long (4 inches maybe) that pass thru holes in the bellhouse and have nuts attached -- which is what you are trying to remove. If the nuts a stuck to the studs, you have no choice other than keep unthreading and see if the nut/stud can be removed. Two, the trans wont suddenly fall down once everything is free, but will tilt down since the trans input shaft is still in the crank pilot hole. You need to remove the trans lower mount bolt and disconnect the exhaust hanger, and then remove the front section of driveshaft and then you can move the trans rearward to release the input shaft, and then downward to remove it

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
You may have done this already, but going from your pictures, the starter needs to come off too. Gearshift leaver needs to get popped off the top too, take out the pinch bolt that is under the rubber boots.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
13,687 Posts
When you have everything disconnected you must jack up the front of the engine so that the gearbox is sloping down and the engine is not trying to level it. Then you can slide it back on the long studs. There should be just enough clearance to get it out. You may have to shake it about to get it to move.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
If the bolt was in the starter bracket at the engine mount. The starter will stay in place.

Keep turning the nut until the nut or stud comes out.

Also undo the exhaust at the down pipe to center muffler or at the rear muffler joint and undo the exhaust mount for the center muffler. By letting it drop down you don't have to put a jack under the front of the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a right hand drive 1987 Alfa Romero and I curse the designers of this car, to try to remove the upper bolts that hold the gearbox to the engine is the most miserable experience! Why did they not think of having grommets inserted in the body of the car so when removed the head of the bolt will be easily accessible? I have resorted to cutting an access hole in the body - to the upper right of the clutch pedal to get to the two last bolts. Lastly, some of the nuts are connected to studding and some are connected to long bolts so you have to place a socket on the reverse side to stop pointless rotation.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Muttering your disapproval to the Alfa designers while contorting yourself around the engine is just part of the Alfa experience! :) Many thousands of those transmissions have been removed without resorting to making holes in the firewall though. I think I remember tilting the engine forward slightly on one occasion to provide better access between the engine and firewall for those top two nuts. It's also another good point for the "go ahead and pull the engine and transmission at the same time" proponents.

·
Premium Member
13,687 Posts
Some people argue that the top bolts are unnecessary and they leave them out.
If you find it hard to get them out, just wait until you try to install them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts