Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

As it says.. how do you remove the steering wheel from a 71 spider? So far I have removed the central nut and disconnected the horn.. should the wheel just come off or do I need to do some thing else?

Thanks all...

·
Registered
811 Posts
You will need a puller to get it off .
You should see two threaded holes in there.
I think M6???
If you can find a pull for Imports your set but if not you will also have to get the bolts and some thick washers .
The wheel will be on there real good so be ready for it .
Just make SURE the bolts are the right ones and all the way in .
If the holes got stripped :eek: well don't do that :) 13pcs_Steering_Wheel_Puller_Set.jpg

This type of puller can be used for all kinds of things I even used mine for pulling apart my gear box .[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,170 Posts
A US 71 would have 6mm holes; not sure whether a UK spec car would have the same wheel. Either way, you need a strong puller. Cheap generic aftermarket ones often bend/break if the wheel is really stuck. The factory Alfa puller has a very strong crossbar, and I've never hard trouble using one, but you'd have to find one.
Sometimes a good rap on the nut/shaft with a hammer once you've tightened it up some will help; sometimes not. The wheel is a taper fit on the shaft and after 40 years can be very tight.
Andrew

·
Registered
811 Posts
You will need a puller to get it off .
You should see two threaded holes in there.
I think M6???
If you can find a pull for Imports your set but if not you will also have to get the bolts and some thick washers .
The wheel will be on there real good so be ready for it .
Just make SURE the bolts are the right ones and all the way in .
If the holes got stripped :eek: well don't do that :) View attachment 204646

This type of puller can be used for all kinds of things I even used mine for pulling apart my gear box .[/ATTACH]
Sorry for that Import comment . I did not notice you are in the UK . Metric pullers should be a common thing there.

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
should the wheel just come off or do I need to do some thing else?
I agree with what the others have said about using a puller to remove the wheel.

When reassembling the wheel to the column, smear some antisieze on the mating surfaces. The job will be a lot easier the next time. This is what we get here in the States:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts