Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Having a good spare has saved my tail more times than I can count. I won't drive a car without a spare, a jack I trust, and a good breaker bar with the right sockets.

Being stuck by the side of the road is lame.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I don't know when is the last time you used triple A but you could be waiting 3,4,5,6 or 7 hours for something you could fix in 15 minutes.
Wow, that's crazy wait time. I've never waited more than 30 minutes. I was fine sitting in my car this winter while the AAA guy fought with the wheel lugs in the driving snow...

That said, I generally run with a spare. But it's nothing more than a cheap 185 on a steelie. I run with 205s which don't fit the spare well. If that weren't enough, they're directionals - I'd have to carry two...

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
Due to Murphy's law, you will get a flat tyre the day/week after you remove your spare ;)

Pete

·
Registered
11,687 Posts
If you call AAA, or anybody, to change a tyre ... please remove your car enthusiast badge and leave it at the door as you leave!

Pete

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
If you call AAA, or anybody, to change a tyre ... please remove your car enthusiast badge and leave it at the door as you leave!

Pete
I'll gladly hand over my badge when the wind chill dips below -35F as it did this winter when I shredded a tire on my CC...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Pete
I'd never call AAA to change a tire, but if there's no tire to change, I have no shame in calling a tow truck. For what it's worth- maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't had a flat that required a roadside change in almost 20 years. Tires have gotten pretty darn good at stopping punctures.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The spare tire is just a spare part to get you home. If have the skill or the willingness to do a road side tire change you will be on your way ASAP. If you choose to use a tow service for what ever reason that is ok too. We are all have one thing on common! We love our Alfa Romeo.

Ken
Please excuse all spelling and grammar! I am typing on phone :)

·
Registered
11,687 Posts

Pete
I'll gladly hand over my badge when the wind chill dips below -35F as it did this winter when I shredded a tire on my CC...
Man I don't think I'd have become a car enthusiast if I had grown up dealing with that weather ...
Pete

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts

Pete
Man I don't think I'd have become a car enthusiast if I had grown up dealing with that weather ...
Pete
Lol, trust me I wasn't particularly enthusiast about my car at that particular moment! However I am looking forward to dropping the top on my Spider today as we're supposed to get some warm, sunny weather finally. It was a beast of a winter and spring has been so wet that my backyard, basement and shop all flooded.
The governor declared a state of emergency...

·
Registered
944 Posts
I thought the spare was part of crash safety , to help crumpling from being hit from behind?
either case I have a 14 inch rim w new cheap tire , for "just in case", back there...driving on 15 inch rims....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I thought the spare was part of crash safety , to help crumpling from being hit from behind?
either case I have a 14 inch rim w new cheap tire , for "just in case", back there...driving on 15 inch rims....
Less relevant to those of us who have a proper roll bar. And if you don't a have a roll bar, you probably aren't going out on the track where the weight loss is meaningful.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
My spare experience...

Out for a drive with my spouse recently, when road debris I failed to see shredded the right front.

We both got out to survey the aftermath and wife asks, “Well, I suppose you have a spare.”

“Of course”, I replied. “Do you think I’m stupid?”

“Well, where is it?”

“Right there on the left front!”

Best

·
Registered
177 Posts
I always carry a spare, mostly because I have rotten luck and am often out of cell phone range. It recently occurred to me that I did not have a lug wrench in the car, which would have made the spare useless anyway.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts