Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about removing the spare tire on my spider as one its dry rotted and two for weight savings. I was wondering how many people ran without spares? I only use the spider around town +/- 50 miles so it seems like a risk reward type situation. How many people run without them?

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
I run around with a spare because I have enough junk in my shop that I don't want to clutter more with spare. It's effective storage and if I need it , I'll call AAA to change it..

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,885 Posts
The Spider has a spare and the GTV doesn't, but in both I carry one of those Slime kits with tire sealant and an inflator. Honestly that type of kit is all many modern sports cars carry.

·
Registered
225 Posts
At least get another tire that is not dry rotted if you are going to carry it. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I run without a spare, but my car is stripped for track use and does not see extensive road miles. I'd say the benefit depends on how you use your car. For a mostly stock road car, dropping 30-40lbs from a spare tire isn't going to be a big enough difference for you to notice- not worth potentially getting stranded. For my purposes, the only reason I'd be going more than a short distance from home is for a track day, and then my day is already over if I have a flat, so I might as well just call AAA.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I run without a spare most of the time but I carry a mini spare from a Ford Focus on long trips.
Ed, I didn't know the dimensions for lugs are the same, but of course I never checked. never occurred to me.

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
I don't know if all Focus car had 4 x 108 centers but at least some of them did.

·
Super Moderator
9,984 Posts
Here are a few reasons to carry a spare:

- It may improve your car's safety in the event of a rear impact collision. Modern car crumple characteristics are designed assuming the presence of a spare. Obviously our Alfas were designed prior to the era of computer modeling; still, the spare may serve this function.

- A spider's weight distribution is very biased to the front. Removing the spare will further aggravate this.

- If you get a flat tire, it will invariably be on a Sunday evening when you're in the boondocks out of cell range. Being able to install a spare wheel & tire yourself, instead of relying on AAA, can be a huge advantage.

Note: you can buy a new, off-brand import tire for $60 or 70 bucks. It won't last for as many miles as a Michelin, but will work great as a spare.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Years ago, a friend went off the track at Lime Rock and into a wall backwards. There was damage, but surprisingly not as much as one would have expected from an impact at that speed. He realized after the fact that he'd forgotten to remove the spare for the event, and the spare tire had acted as a shock absorber.

Personally, I don't want to deal with the time involved in getting a tire fixed should one fail while on the road. A month or so ago the wife had a flat in her car, and we discovered that the tire shop had sold us normal tires, not run flats. The car doesn't carry a spare. I wasted a few hours going to fetch the tire, getting it repaired (took 3 hours at the tire shop!), and putting it back on.

I'll carry a spare, or some mechanism to patch and inflate a tire. Or buy run flats.

My .02,

bs

·
Registered
363 Posts
The spare tire is part of the car. My thought is if it is not a race car them keep the spare. Put a new tire on it. What the heck you might need it someday. There is times when you need a little extra weight over the rear tires. In the end a complete car is worth more than a car missing parts.

Ken
Please excuse all spelling and grammar! I am typing on a no so smart phone :)

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Friend of mine accidentally tore the sidewall of a tire on his new Boxter S on a trip. The tire wasn't saveable with an inflator and sealant can because of the damage. Luckily, he had a mini spare in the car, so had to drive several hundred miles at 50 mph. He believes in spares, even if they are the cr*ppy mini spare.

Our Alfas all have full sized spares in them, replacing mini spares.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just a FYI. Murphy's law..if it will happen, it will and at the worst possible time. If weight is so **** important, get a set of Chromodoros, less unsprung weight. the spare balances, and is a safety feature. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Why cause more [problems for yourself.

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
You can make arguments for keeping various parts that could be removed to save weight and each one does not account for much on its own but if you do every one of them it becomes significant. Both my Spider and GTV6 are about 150 pounds lighter than stock and that improves the performance and the handling. My racer friends reckon that on an Alfa 100 lb is worth about 10 HP.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You can make arguments for keeping various parts that could be removed to save weight and each one does not account for much on its own but if you do every one of them it becomes significant. Both my Spider and GTV6 are about 150 pounds lighter than stock and that improves the performance and the handling. My racer friends reckon that on an Alfa 100 lb is worth about 10 HP.
Very true, but again I think it depends on you use case. If you are building a track car/hot rod, it makes sense to strip the car as much as possible. But the result won't be terribly comfortable.

There is a thread somewhere on the BB with a nice list of component weights if you are thinking of doing serious weight savings. The low hanging fruit is the battery (replace with a lithium one) and spare tire, and bumpers. Much beyond that, and you start getting into modifications that impact the driving experience more fundamentally. Some mods impacting weight that I have done (and guesstimate weights):

Toss HVAC system (heat and A/C) ~50lbs
Pull all carpet and chip off sound deadening ~30lbs
Lithium battery ~20lbs
No spare/jack ~40lbs
Rota wheels ~30lbs (rotating)
Remove door cards (will eventually make some ultra light ones) ~10lbs
Remove rear parcel tray - ~5lbs
Remove lower dash panels ~5lbs
Brake booster delete and pedal box/MC replacement ~10lbs
Light weight racing seats ~20lbs
Side-pipe exhaust ~20lbs
"Big" brake kit (two piece rotors + light calipers mean lighter overall) ~5lbs
No bumpers (on track only) ~30lbs
Aluminum radiator + lightweight fans: ~5lbs
No top (convertible frame removed, hardtop used if weather demands): ~50lbs

On the to do list:
Small spring kit: ~20lbs per Alfaholics (Unsprung)
Watts Link + lightweight trailing arms: ~10lbs
Hydraulic handbrake: ~5lbs (unsprung)
Light weight clutch/flywheel: ~10lbs (rotating)
Fuel cell: ~20lbs

However, I've added in weight:
Roll bar: ~50lbs
Accusump (to do): ~10lbs
Oil cooler: ~5lbs

All in, around 300lbs off the car. That is very noticeable in the handling, but also in road manners. None of those is huge by itself, but it all adds up- yet the weight savings isn't really noticeable util you do a LOT things. It's no longer a car to take a leisurely trip to the shops in! I'd love to get it under 2,000lbs, but I think that would require more drastic measures like replacing body panels (stock should be around 2,400).

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
As to a spare:

My front tires wear out faster than the rears - mostly from camber errors on cornering. So I replace tires two at a time - F then R. When I replace the rears, I swap the spare for the best tire on hand (of the three). Be sure to swap rims too as you pretty road wheels likely don't match the spare rim. Or get a fifth rim that matches.

Robert

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I don't know when is the last time you used triple A but you could be waiting 3,4,5,6 or 7 hours for something you could fix in 15 minutes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts