Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I want to remove the self leveling from an Alfa 75 auto. I have shocks and springs from a manual car to go in, but what do I do about blanking off the hydraulic lines? Can I just put in a power steering pump from a manual car? DO the lines for the suspension connect to separate ports on the pump, or do the run from the same ports as the steering and then split off somewhere else?
Any help appreciated!
Cheers,
Reuben

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Hi.
I want to remove the self leveling from an Alfa 75 auto. I have shocks and springs from a manual car to go in, but what do I do about blanking off the hydraulic lines? Can I just put in a power steering pump from a manual car? DO the lines for the suspension connect to separate ports on the pump, or do the run from the same ports as the steering and then split off somewhere else?
Any help appreciated!
Cheers,
Reuben
You learn something new every day.
I never knew they had any self levelling suspension for anything other than the SZ/RZ.
To know more about the hydraulics, you'll have to go looking for the answers on your own car. How many hydraulic lines go to the power steering pump? A regular 75 has 2.
Post a photo of the pump.
The PS pump/hydraulic plumbing is probably the only real question that needs to be answered. If the PS lines do Tee off to the suspension, then you could either blank the lines to the suspension, but note that this will have to be done correctly because of the hydraulic pressure. Or get your hands on the lines from a conventional PS car.
Once the hydraulic question has been answered, then it's simply a matter of using conventional shocks.

Years ago I 'un-utilized' the hydraulic rear steering on 1 of my other cars. It got its hydraulic force from a 2 chambered version of the power steering pump. I opened the pump up, removed to the vanes from the rear steering side, blanked the inlet/outlet ports and mechanically locked the rear steering ram (it was literally a hydraulic ram). I left the hydraulic lines in the car, but for the sake of it, I removed the DCV (directional control valve).

·
Registered
188 Posts
I converted the self leveling system on an automatic Milano to a standard suspension and drove it without problem for many years. You need to keep the two lines feeding the power steering fluid from the front of the car to the back and from the back returning to the front. Remove the two lines that go into and out of the load leveler, but you cannot plug them. You need to make a new hose into a closed loop. Basically, just delete the leveler (which is always the leaky/malfunctioning part) and replace it with a u shaped hose.

Michael Conrey
Allentown, PA

·
Premium Member
15,863 Posts
"thought it was only the 164 LS & Q"

Maybe on the one with the automatic tranny, but not on the stick version LS, as far as I know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info.
Self leveling suspension removed, and standard Alfa 75 (manual) suspension installed. We ended up putting the PS pump from a manual car in, and now the car is much nicer to drive (understatement).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts