Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As I'm getting closer to having my Alfetta repainted, I realize the outer window trim is not cleverly held on by clips like on my spider, but is held on by screws. Which seem to be obscured by the window, in any position. I want to get the trim off to make sure there's no cancer growing under it (in fact, I know there is some near the wing window on the passenger side). Any comments on how to do this without pulling all the glass out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
523 Posts
The trim is held on by clips and screws. For the screws, I used PB Blaster followed by pointy Vise Grips. Not fun.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eek! I was hoping for an easier answer, but it sounds like that was in vain...

·
Banned
764 Posts
Here's some pics of my recent '84 GTV6 restore/rebuild - fully! Even removed the window rubber to strip and re-dye. I found screws, clips and rivets in various locations. Some are a pain but are easy once exposed and knowledge attained. The side windows are a process of one thing at a time.

Good luck and patience is in order.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
...and the pics are where? I'd love to see.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I love when people show their projects. Inspires me. Keep us posted when you have more pics. thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd love know more about where the window removal required drilling rivets (and did you re-rivet or use screws?) and where had screws, etc.

Like on the rear window--in my experience, the little bar between the main rear window and the rolldown part...on the bottom is a screw, but on top is a rivet...

What do you do there?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wherever the rivets are you simply drill them out, remove he black metal trim piece(same for side front and rear windows) then when you are ready to install again, just obtain new rivets the same size and pop rivet them back in again. The Haynes workshop manual on GTV's cover this part quite well. I have done it a few times now when removing glass windows to install Lexan light weight windows for my track car and the first time its a pain but the second time is a breeze.

·
Banned
764 Posts
You'll notice the front vent window has rivets which I used black ones to match original. The 2 rear windows; roll-up and rear triangle piece has clips, rivets and tiny screws, IIRC with some clips. It's difficult to properly explain the R & R of these glass panels as well as associated trim. Yoy'll just have to finagle them appropriately like tilting the posts to R & R each.

SOME IMPORTANT TIPS;

1. Pay particular attention to removal AND make notes as I did the 1st time doing this.
2. Mark every item and fotograph as I did fir what I deemed necessary.
3. Most important - DO NOT LET THE REAR ROLL DOWN GLASS DROP!!!! I had to break my 2nd one as I couldn't get it back up and replace it... OUCH!! F**kd with it for almost a day and even ran out of beer.
4. Take the front main glass exterior/interior rubber gaskets and reverse them left to right on the door panels. This will put the exterior shrunken ones on the interior side and the longer interior ones on the exterior.
5. You can removed the rubber from the trim by cleaning and then use a lubricant like Gunk Silicone Spray (the truly highest % of silicone found only at Home Depot that I've located) and carefully slide them out and in. I removed these, stripped them and then re-dyed with 2 coats. I had every piece of trim re-sprayed to their original respective color as well as every piece of exterior body trim except the rubber pieces.

Well worth the effort!! I think the car appears better than new at this point of course everything was restored/rebuilt or replaced from front turn signalsw/housing to the rear ones.

HTH

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize there are no badges on that car, but something about it tells me it's not an Alfa :)

·
Banned
764 Posts
Well, there's no badging on the red car either. The ARKTIK BLAU one is the '84 BMW Euro M635CSi heading to the paint shop. Fortunately, I didn't have to remove the rear side glass panels to remove the trim/rubber pieces.

BTW, the GTV/GTV6 side drip rail isn't difficult to remove simply be careful not to twist it. It's best to have a couple frinds, if ya gottum, to re-install. One each to start the install with the 3rd tapping with a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'm afraid I might have screwed the gutter trim up... someone else on another thread said you have to twist it to get it off, so we'll see. I suppose it's not the end of the world to get another set - either way, I want to have my body guy re-install it so I don't mess up my new paint job.

Nice selection of cars, Brooks... one of these days I'll have an E9 or E24.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Mine ended up being a puzzle, but I finally found all of the screws, clips and rivets necessary to remove it all. Bits went into labeled baggies, but I anticipate most of the screws will be replaced as the originals are pretty nasty.

Wondering if I might not be better off having the stainless trim powder coated, rather than painted? Seems like it would last longer.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Re. the gutter trim, yes you drill out the rivets on the a-pillar then starting at the front you twist evenly away from the body to remove. So on the left hand side, looking back of car to front of car, it's twist clockwise and on the right hand side it's twist anti-clockwise.

On the early cars with unpainted stainless trim it is exceedingly easy to kink the trim as it comes off, particularly right above the b-pillar where the underside of the trim is cut away to pass by the pillar. On the later cars with painted trim somehow it seems less prone to kinking but maybe that's just perception.

Once kinked it's really really hard to straighten.......been there, done that! If you can get someone to help by supporting the trim as it comes off.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Here's a few pics of the other autos in the 'Kar Korral'. Pristene '88 E28 M5 mit der full OEM correct Euro interior/exterior fittings including cloth seat inserts, an OK '91 M5 and the Biturbo. When the Bitrouble arrived on the car carrier, it looked so dasderdly I almost told the driver to keep driving to the junk yard. A lot of work and some particular parts and it turned out great.

Aggie57, the reason the painted trim withstands removal better is the rigidity the paint adds to the structural strength of the member. And remember, "Always remember your Member"; hardiharhar...

Good Hunting on your restore as I know its worth the effort !!!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
764 Posts
Acouple more pics of autos. The car group foto shows the GTV6 as I got her. You'll note the darker blue '85 M635CSi I had fir 15 years.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts