Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove both the upper and lower portion of my oil pan in order to replace the gaskets and hopefully solve some oil leaks.

Is it possible to slide out the pans with the engine in place? Anyone done this?
Are the oil pump pick-up or baffles in the way?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Is it possible to slide out the pans with the engine in place? Anyone done this?
Are the oil pump pick-up or baffles in the way?
YES ! but I know there will be a few that disagree
Have done dozenswell maybe alot more than I care to remember ....might have to loosen a motor mount at the base and jack up at bell housing just a bit, It should just sneek by the oil pick up .

·
Registered
what part?
10,269 Posts
just a question, but why would the upper pan tho the motor leak??? the oil level is not up that high? i can see the lower pan having a seap/ leak( min doe's. plan to fix the seap, just a drop or 3 per day), there is more oil just sitting around that joint. so the oil can find it's way out.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know why the oil is leaking from there but my guess is that the oil sloshes around a bit while the engine is running/driving?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my lower pan joint there does not seem to be any gasket? If there is a gasket it would have to be paper thin. The joint seems to be metal against metal, not at all like the upper joint which has an obvious gasket.
Is this proper or has the pan been repaired by the original owner before me?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

I removed mine while the engine was out (it is still out :) )
but as far as I remeber, it should be possible, I removed the swaybar in order to move the engine out - I needed to do so since the oil pan was in the way...
So I guess it is possible.
(maybe with loosening the engine mounts a little too)

Saar.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
On my lower pan joint there does not seem to be any gasket? If there is a gasket it would have to be paper thin.
Yes, the lower pan gasket is indeed paper thin. So thin in fact that it's a bit on the fragile side. Not to mention that on many occasions, not all the holes line up. A quick trick for this is to soak the new gasket in warm water for a few minutes. This re-hydrates the gasket making it easier to work with, expands it just a bit so the holes line up and since it's wet, no sealer is required.

Leaking upper pan gaskets is not very common. What is common is oil leaking down from above (or blown back from the front) that can give the appearance that this gasket is leaking. I'd clean the engine first to be certain of the source of the leak(s).

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'll check again but the block above the oil pan is bone dry and I have already replaced the rear crank seal. What I can't rule out as contributing to the mess are the pencil seals but the leaks seem to originate forward that spot.

Edit: Except for this leak the engine is spotless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts