Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you in advance for any help.

I'm removing the suspension from a '76 Alfetta. The repair manual shows the lower a-arm swinging downward (image: how the picture looks in the book") to allow removal of the two bolts that hold the a-arm to the frame, and then allows the a-arm to slide off the torsion bar.

The reality is the a-arm dropped from level to 15 degrees downward then stopped (see the two other photos). This position is not allowing the removal of the two bolts.

Is this normal? Suggestions? Do I need to first loosen the torsion bar from the rear mount?

As a side note, I had a dickens of a time getting the lower ball joint to clear the lower a-arm even with a jack. I wound up using a spring compressor to squeeze the upper and lower a-arms closer together so free up the bottom lower ball-joint. Everything seemed very tight and inflexible, but it's the time I've worked on one of these so I didn't know what to expect.

Again, any insights would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom. So I guess I have to pull off the torsion bar mount (bridge) at the center of the car. Correct? Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi! Did this in the last month.
Some things to consider:
The position of the torsion bars in the front arms and rear bridge determines the hight of your car. So you need to mark everything to be able to adjust it where you want to have it.
There are already lots of threads on adjustment.
I habe a GTV6 but I think it will be the same.
If you want to get the torsion bars out of the rear bridge you need a special tool or make a tool, and a lot of this stuff sticks and is rusted there.
There is a possibility to just remove the front a arms and slide them off the torsion bars-even if it is considered not correct (like factory said)
As you say you can't get to the outer screw heads I suggest your car is already lowered in the front? I had this, lowered 1 tooth, 4cm in the front.
I could hold the outer screw heads and loosen the nuts from the inside but wasn't able to slide the bolts out as the A-arm was blocking them as it had the higher position on the torsion bar because of the lowering
So I screwed the to bolts loose, then took a long lever and put it 90degrees compared to the torsion bar in the lower a-arm and pressed it down with my knee or foot. This lowered the a&arm enough to get the bolts out.
As I raised the car afterwards I did not have to think how I'd get them back in again, as then the a-arm won't block anymore
Hope that helped

·
Registered
505 Posts
No, you don't remove the rear torsion bar mount. After marking the positions of the splines front and rear, you extract the torsion bar towards the rear of the car (you can use a special tool or a bolt, washer and hammer to pull the torsion bar rearward). You only have to move the torsion bar about 2 inches rearward to disengage the splines front and rear. The torsion bar will still be inside the rear mount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your help. I was fortunate that the splines on the torsion bars had anti-seize on them, so they removed fairly easily. These are interesting cars in how they were constructed when it comes to the front and rear suspension mountings and the procedures for maintenance. But no special tools on this bit so that's a positive.

Ciao and happy motoring!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts