Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure the interior latch is the same or very similar on both the Alfetta GT and GTV6.

I've not really looked it over that carefully, but it appears as if one is asking for plastic to break if it is removed. And I'm not referring to the door panel's plastic door handle bezel - which was carefully designed to break.

Obviously the actuation rod has to be removed from one end or the other.

Not really a do or die situation but the '75 GT has a complete pull handle and later GT's have just a half of one. Anyone know why? Saving on petroleum products?

Biba

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Exactly the same. In fact, the outside handle is the same with Montreal!

As with all trim parts, you have to know the "trick" to removing the part. So not attempt to remove door panel or "card" as some put it, without the proper tool or you will break something. This is why you see a lot of Alfetta's and GTV6's with door panels held on with screws rather than the factory retainer clips.

The bezel on the inner door handle slides (left if memory serves me) parallel to the door to remove. The door handle itself has aluminum rivets that hold it on to the door frame. I'm not 100% sure, but you may have to remove the door panel to remove the handle assembly Biba.

To remove the door panel, remove triangular insert at door pull, slide out the vinyl thin trim piece to reveal door screws. Remove door pull. Unscrew door lock thumb push. Pop plastic retainers at right and lect door edge with flat split-v door panel tool, bend door panel out in center to remove bottom edge from channel and it will hang from top. Lift straight upwards to disengage hooked top lip and it will come off.

Once that's out of your way, you can drill-out the rivets and disengage the door lock mechanism rod/s to remove the door latch.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ToonRboy, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. Right now both of my 75's door panels are off and these panels were mounted using sheet metal screws. Also the handle was molded into the door panel. However, I am using a pair of the screw on type handles for the new panels. I got tired of regulators breaking and figure that any I buy, no matter how good of shape they appear, it will only be a matter of time before it/they break again. So the doors are now electrified with power windows and a nice pair of speakers.

Many Alfetta folk think the original molded door panels are the greatest, but unfortunately they all shrunk over time. Which means that the original molded in areas for the mounting screws are off by about 3/16" at the ends.

Biba

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
My car came to me with screws securing the door card... I thought that was just how it was designed! Come to think of it, a LOT of the parts on my car are held together with some suspiciously non-factory-looking screws. Hmmm...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I've seen many Alfetta GT's with the stainless or black finish sheet metal screws with the half-donut washers. To me, this can ruin an otherwise nice restoration. I would expect to see that on a Morgan, or a TR6 or somethin'.

When I took my door panels off to refurb/dye and install speakers, I found that the door panel itself can deteriorate to a nice cardboard consistancy (years of contact with moisture). But you can deal with it.

Here's what the door latch bezel looks like removed.
Door latch bezel removed.jpg

Pop triangular piece from door pull carefully from hole in rear.
GTV6 Door Pull Removed.jpg

Shot of door panel and components. See the trim that covers the door handle screws? Also, you can see what years and years can do to the face. Sagging and bleached.
Panel-Parts removed.jpg

I ordered some panel clips off e-bay in case I broke any or find any missing. Note the clip tool (spatula). You run that in-between the panel and door till it stops (kinda' like looking for a stud), remove and re-insert straddling the clip. Then lift to pop it. Any that break can be replaced, panel crumbling can be stiffened with epoxy if need be.
backside fr door panel.jpg

I looked at my pics from when I refurbed and re-installed the door panels and couldn't find a pic showing how the latch is attached. Here's one off ebay. The small flange is where it's riveted to the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Because of door card warping, I installed a self tapping screw with large fender washer under each speaker cover, they have no speakers in them. This formed the door cards back to near original shape, then I installed door handle bezels and glued them in. Its they only way I could get them to fit and finish cleanly.

ncng

1 - 6 of 6 Posts