Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, can you please help me with removing the gear knob? Do i just unscrew it or is there a special way of removing it?I want to repaint the pattern of gears on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I believe the gear shift knob on the Montreal is just a press fit. It is held in place by the rubber grommet at the bottom of the knob. You basically pull up on the knob while performing a motion like you would use to stir paint with the hard end of the shift knob. You really don't need to spin the knob, just make it 'wobble' off the lever.

There are threads on how and what to use to paint the pattern; just clean it first with alcohol or lacquer thinner.

Mark

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I once answered this question on a USA alfa classified Facebook page in were the administrator suggested the gear knobs were a threaded screwed on. Then they suggested daron was to the go to guy for alfa restorations in this country. I corrected him on both cases so they kicked my off the page... 😊

·
Registered
17 Posts
As Mark suggests, the knob is simply a press fit and held by the rubber grommet in the knob. Happy jiggling !

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
No good deed goes un-punished...

Mark

I once answered this question on a USA alfa classified Facebook page in were the administrator suggested the gear knobs were a threaded screwed on. Then they suggested daron was to the go to guy for alfa restorations in this country. I corrected him on both cases so they kicked my off the page... 😊

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
IF it is a press-on fit as suggested and the knob hasn't been removed in years, the inner rubber of the kbob and the metal shifter contact will fuse to the point it would seem it is glued in place. Since turning the car upside down is not an option, wrap a towel around the shaft below the knob and direct a spray bottle of hot tap water up into the knob and twist the knob. It might help to wedge a small screw driver or popsicle stick in GINGERLY to cause some separation between the rubber and the shaft. The first sign of success will be a TWIST of the knob.When that happens and it will, the next step is to "walk" the knob off like pulling out a champagne cork.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To remove any introduced doubt, it IS a press-on fit. In my case, I managed to 'jiggle' (or 'walk', if you like) the knob from the gear lever without additional assistance. Maybe I was fortunate after 40 years, but it may well require some additional assistance to separate the rubber from the metal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts