Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need to remove the wire from the front pulley to remove the complete door latch mechanism?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Do you need to remove the wire from the front pulley to remove the complete door latch mechanism?
Thanks
Not sure i understand what pulley is involved with the door latch

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The handle part is trapped between the cable and the inner door frame. The handle and latch are held together with a long bar riveted at both ends. I released a pulley to put in enough slack to remove the unit.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
The handle part is trapped between the cable and the inner door frame. The handle and latch are held together with a long bar riveted at both ends. I released a pulley to put in enough slack to remove the unit.
Got it. you should have ben able to detach that bar where it connects to the latch assembly without removing the pulley for the window regulator. I hope you did not allow slack in the cable for the regulator that will allow it to snarl up on the winder spool.

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't see a way to disconnect the bar on either end. I just removed the pulley that is for adjusting tension and put it back after I removed the assembly. then I cranked the window up and down to be sure there was proper tension and travel. I am replacing my passenger door, and was able to fine one in great shape other than the rear window track was missing and the latch mechanism was not working. These parts are fine on the old door, so I will need to go through this process when I change the doors.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I didn't see a way to disconnect the bar on either end. I just removed the pulley that is for adjusting tension and put it back after I removed the assembly. then I cranked the window up and down to be sure there was proper tension and travel. I am replacing my passenger door, and was able to fine one in great shape other than the rear window track was missing and the latch mechanism was not working. These parts are fine on the old door, so I will need to go through this process when I change the doors.
Thanks
Okay, good to know. I was just afraid of one problem leading to another. Glad it worked out

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One problem leading to another? Never heard of such a thing! ;^)
I will be adding a mirror, I like having mirrors on both doors. Also new limit straps,..wait, project creep is almost the same thing isn't it?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
One problem leading to another? Never heard of such a thing! ;^)
I will be adding a mirror, I like having mirrors on both doors. Also new limit straps,..wait, project creep is almost the same thing isn't it?
Absolutely the same thing. Happens almost every time. :LOL:

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
On the subject of doors I'd like to tweak the stationary latch on the body with the Allen bolts... Something suspicious tells me some one put Loctite on them and I think the tiny Allen will spin . That be bad.. Any ideas? Thinking of putting a solder iron on the bolt head to warm up the bolt.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
On the subject of doors I'd like to tweak the stationary latch on the body with the Allen bolts... Something suspicious tells me some one put Loctite on them and I think the tiny Allen will spin . That be bad.. Any ideas? Thinking of putting a solder iron on the bolt head to warm up the bolt.
Well, if you have an allen head socket that will fit an impact driver(Hammer type, not a impact wrench), that is what I use to break them loose. A couple of good taps does it.
Also, you know about me and soldering. :LOL:

Reactions: divotandtralee

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
You are customer No.70 .. The first 69 got gold chains with a prancing horse .. I'm working on the next 70.. as Carson said.."I did know that" .. Impact driver I have

1 - 11 of 11 Posts