Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to remove and replace the Cyl Head studs in a 1965 GTA engine. There doesn't seem to be a corrosion issue on the surfaces exposed to coolant. Tried to remove a few with a bit of heat and soaking with Kroil while double-nutted. Nothing budged, ... don't want to twist too hard and risk snapping one at this point.

Anyone have insight how they have removed studs in the past ???

Thanks !

Joe

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used to use pipe wrenches and hammers and we were engaged in two people. Today I give the base to the grinding machine that extracts them quickly and if they break it removes them by electroerosion.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Why are you doing this? They are removable but resetting them torqued into the aluminum threads in the block can cause those to "soften" and as the head is torqued or re-torqued, you get a soft torque reading as the threads pull out of the block. Then you need to install a stainless steel time-sert down in the water jacket with limited room.
If they are corroded and untrustworthy, the easiest way to remove them is by electrically welding a large nut on the top of the stud, then try turning it out while hammering on the nut at the same time. Often they will snap off, usually (not always!) near the base, and you take the block to an EDM shop and have the remains removed.
Don't remove them without good cause.
From my experience over years with GTA and other 1600 blocks.

Reactions: Sergio105

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS !

I don't think they NEED to come out. I agree with all you've stated. It just seems like something to address at this stage of the re-build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts