Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Quadrifoglio
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if there are some important considerations before I remove the entire AC unit. I had to replace the starter so I currently have the room to easily remove the compressor, hoses etc. The system has not been working and has been dried out exposed to the elements due to missing low pressure hose. Not sure what parts work.

Not sure if the ac fan serves any purpose in helping cool the engine? I could run a dedicate switch to manually turn the fan on but not sure if it is needed.

Is it expensive to retro fit to the newer ac standards from R12?

I know this can be debated to death, but removing a system that came with the car pains me. On the other hand I haven't found anyone in my location who can repair or get parts for the system.

Looking for some advice before I put parts back on engine. I appreciate your feedback. Take care.

·
Administrator
17,458 Posts
I have converted both our GTV6 & Spider to R134. I took the old hoses to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses - they used the original fittings and crimped them onto new hoses. Bringing the entire hose allows them to get the angles aimed correctly. New receiver/dryer, new O-rings, add appropriate oil, evacuate system and fill with refrigerant. They blow cool but not ice cold. None of the parts are that unusual. I bought a remanufactured compressor for the GTV6 from NAPA. The receiver/dryer was a generic unit of approximately the same dimensions as the original.

The Spider A/C system is not integrated into the heating/defrosting system so removing it won't change those systems.

·
Registered
1987 Quadrifoglio
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have converted both our GTV6 & Spider to R134. I took the old hoses to a shop that makes hydraulic hoses - they used the original fittings and crimped them onto new hoses. Bringing the entire hose allows them to get the angles aimed correctly. New receiver/dryer, new O-rings, add appropriate oil, evacuate system and fill with refrigerant. They blow cool but not ice cold. None of the parts are that unusual. I bought a remanufactured compressor for the GTV6 from NAPA. The receiver/dryer was a generic unit of approximately the same dimensions as the original.

The Spider A/C system is not integrated into the heating/defrosting system so removing it won't change those systems.
Thanks Eric for your response and suggestions. I appreciate it. Does the cooling fan in the cabin (not the heater fan) simply blow cabin air through the vents without the AC? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1987 Quadrifoglio
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - in the Spider. In the GTV6 the A/C is integrated with the heater unit. The Spider is more like an add-on system.
Thanks again Eric,

It doesnt draw on any outside air then?

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
The misconception is that the Spider AC system is not good.

When properly serviced it actually works great.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
All auto AC systems draw in a percentage of outside air, unless you put them on recirculation mode.

If this were my Spider, which it isn't, but I would leave the AC system intact and installed. By removing it, all you do is lower the resale value of the car, functional or not. Then you have parts laying around you might trip over, and fall.

And any competent auto AC shop can do the conversion to R-134a for you, troubleshoot the system, and get you cool air up there in Canada. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts