Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
I wonder if you could cut a screwdriver slot in the broken piece using a dremel cutoff tool. Then try to back it out with a screwdriver. Similar to the method often used to turn that slotless screw on the ignition switch into a slotted one. I once lucked out on a larger tap using a pair of needle nose pliers to grasp inside the fluted portion of the tap and back it out. The one for the crank plugs may be too small for that though.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
You need to find a place that has a wire EDM machine. What it does is burn out the tap from the hole. It doesn't hurt the crank at all.
here is a video that explains how it works.
I did this once like you did and it saved me a lot of headaches but my wallet was a bit lighter leaving the facility.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Great video ! I've had EDM done to remove broken studs, but never saw how it is done.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There are tools made specifically for removing broken taps. Search online for "broken tap removal tool" and several different styles will pop up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you're lucky, a tap removing tool per jburning17 is the easiest, but if it was so tight the tap broke, it may only compound the problem.

A tap burner/EDM is the cleanest/bestest way if there is one available/affordable. Another solution is a carbide or diamond grinding point, though it can be time consuming and tedious.

Good luck to your "friend"....

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,124 Posts
Well done. Much better than my suggestion, which was DO NOT BREAK A TAP OFF IN THE CRANK :D

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,570 Posts
I must confess I was all gungho to tap my crank for plugs but chickened out when I saw how hard the crank was and could see that happening to me. I just used red locktite and the plugs. Haven't had a problem but this is just a street motor that only sees redline when necessary;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts