Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I starting unscrewing the lower bump stop on my '71 GTV today and the bolt threads broke right away. It is flush with the underside surface of the part of the body that it was screwed into.

I pulled out the upper bump stop and can see there is a bolt head in there but really limited room to put in a wrench. Also I can't really see if it has the clearance to come out.

So now I have a broken bolt and before starting to drill it out I thought I would ask if there is anything special going on here that I need to be aware of?

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I starting unscrewing the lower bump stop on my '71 GTV today and the bolt threads broke right away. It is flush with the underside surface of the part of the body that it was screwed into.

I pulled out the upper bump stop and can see there is a bolt head in there but really limited room to put in a wrench. Also I can't really see if it has the clearance to come out.

So now I have a broken bolt and before starting to drill it out I thought I would ask if there is anything special going on here that I need to be aware of?
cabikefreak - There's nothing special going on. Shouldn't be any problem drilling them out. I just removed my old ones and replaced them. I can take pictures if you want, there's not much to see.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The threads of the upper bump stop terminates in a hollow space with not much in the way of drainage, and all sorts of dirt ends up in there with nowhere to go. Luckily, it's easily drilled out and replaced with e.g. a Time-Sert insert. Unfortunately there's not much metal to work with, but the bump stop does not see any lateral load - even if the suspension should bottom out.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey lokki and torw thank you! What exactly is the bump stop threading into? Is there a nut welded up in there or what?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
From what I could tell, it threads into the metal of the bulge. The metal is fairly thick, so there's room for a few rounds of threading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts